City, State
Toronto Ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XLT 5 Speed
I'm getting my mechanic to replace my radius arm
bushings next week. I was going to attempt the work
myself, but I dont have the right tools to take the rivets
out of the crossmember. Has anyone sent their truck
to a mechanic to have the work done? I would like to get an indication of how many hours of labour mechanics
usually charge for the work. Thanks in advance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Find out which way they are going to to do it. I've seen some mechanics that don't cut the rivots.. They pull the suspension forward to do it..

If you want to do it next time, make sure they do the cut rivot method...

I believe it is listed as a 3 hour job acording to the mitchel books (rate books)..

~Mark

He will be grinding the rivets off and replacing them with
bolts.

Radius arm bushings

I have never found it neccessary to remove the rivots. The job is done by moving the components forward, maybe taking the spring down or loosening up other things, but I think cutting the rivots is not the way to go.

but I think cutting the rivots is not the way to go.
can you explain why you dont like that technique? I prefer it and have done them this way a few times.

bump

When i did mine i took a grinder and cut the rivots and replaced them with bolts so I for some reason if the bushing failed It would be a lot easier to take them back off.

reply to the rookie

You asked why I dont like to cut the rivots. Since you asked I will tell you that I have worked as a tech for many years and I have never liked removing structural components like these rivots when it is not neccesary. The I beams are not that difficult to move forward without having to cut or grind. My reluctance to do this I guess stems from a fear that these will come loose or become damaged in the process. I have never liked cutting holes in frames or modifiying structural components if there is another way around it. Just my 2 cents, it would appear from this thread that there is more than one way to skin this cat.

Fair enough. Here is an intresting point. Some Early 91's have bolts there already. Also as an experienced tech I have no problem Getting into modifications like this.

it was probably less time to build shooting rivots in there than placing some bolts in it so when the bushing eventually did fail ford could charge $300 to replace them...

Back