• Register Today It's free!

Ranchos or Spacers?

Ricky_Bobby

Reaction score
City, State
Eastern PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
05 Explorer
Took my 05 4.0 in for an alignment and was told I need front struts along with two new tires. Since I am already pulling the struts out, I am thinking I might as well add a small lift while I am in there. I just hit 188K on the vehicle and it is my daily driver which I put 11-14K miles per year on. I live in a city but would say 85% of my driving is highway.

I am looking at a pair of 265/70/16 All-Terrains and trying to decide what to do for struts. Pricing I can find for Rancho Quick Lifts would put me back around $725 and Monroe quick struts with BTF 1.5/1.0 spacers would be about $650. I have heard good and not so good on the Ranchos and Monroe quick struts seem to get the most recommendations on here from what I have read. Wanted to get some others opinions on which to go with or other ideas?

Thanks for the help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes, it is 4x4 and I am planning to replace all 4 corners then take to have the tires installed and alignment done.

Rancho's and get Mitch Defender or GoodYear Wrangler tires.

Was your price with or without the $80 rebate?

https://www.rockauto.com/Images/CurrPromoFiles/rancho_shocktober_2017_us_secure.pdf

Not sure where you're coming up with the $725

RockAuto you'd be looking at $667.91 minus the $80 rebate.

bha7wm.jpg

I have the quick lifts and am satisfied by them. I am running 265/75/16 Cooper Discoverer RTX's. Fuel mileage sucks, but it looks good imo.

Nothing wrong with Cooper tires like the poster above has, I just put a set of Cooper AT3's on mine and love them. OTD it was $554 and then I got $205 in rebates from Discount Tire, so all in all I got a good deal. No noise on any of the different roads we have around the Green Bay area, Explorer all around just feels better to drive unlike those junk Destination LE2's I had them remove. Had a set of those on our Jeep Liberty and it was a mistake from the get go. I've had Goodyear Wranglers, Michelin and Firestone's in the past on different vehicles and won't touch those brands anymore. Bridgestone's I will use even though they are owned by Firestone but I've been in their plant where they make the tires and there is a BIG BIG difference in the quality of their molds they use and the process of making them. I stick to said Bridgestone's, Coopers, Generals and in a rare instance BF Goodrich.

Get the tires that you think looks the best and will work the best for the area you live in.

TechGuru - What did you do to get that discount on rock auto? I am not sure why my original price was at $725, when I looked at the Ranchos this morning I was coming up with $690 with shipping included then will be able to do the $80 rebate. That sounds like a good deal to me at $600 after discount and rebate.

As for tires, yes I am looking at all 4 or even 5 and we get a fair amount of snow. I would say usually somewhere between 2-6 inches maybe 4-6 times a winter. I have come across a set of (5) 265/70-16 Wrangler All-Terrain Adventure with Kevlar with about 10K miles on them for $600. I have been talking to the seller and have not yet asked best price he would do. I am considering these but just trying to figure out if the load rating matters or how they would work for me. If not those, I am thinking about buying a brand new pair of Coopers from a local shop. I want to stick with an all terrain tread with the amount of highway driving I do which also might convince me into buying a small 4 cylinder for commuting next spring after I experience the gas mileage on the lifted explorer and take away some of the wear and tear.

I think I am convinced on the Ranchos after not hearing any one voting on the spacers. Just need to make a decision on tires now.

TechGuru - What did you do to get that discount on rock auto? I am not sure why my original price was at $725, when I looked at the Ranchos this morning I was coming up with $690 with shipping included then will be able to do the $80 rebate. That sounds like a good deal to me at $600 after discount and rebate.

Enter the numbers at the bottom in the "How did you hear about us?" box. https://www.retailmenot.com/view/rockauto.com

Thanks for the hook up! Might order them this weekend then just need to figure out tires.

I was a similar situation last year on my 2003 Ex. A couple of body to frame bushings needed to be replaced, it was not an easy task on a vehicle from NY. While I replaced the bushings, I decided to raise the body 1.5". Three weeks ago I took advantage of LABOR DAY sale at Discount tire, and bought a set of Cooper at3 265-70-17, I also have these tires on my Early 72 Bronco and really like them. The tires are mounted now and really like the new stance on the Ex.

I came across a set of generic 1.5 spacers, front and back from a member here and this week decided to replace my front and rear struts with a set ok KYBs.

Back