wheels or spacers? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

wheels or spacers?

mbautodesign

Reaction score
Ok well its tax time so i have a few extra bucks coming my way
I used to have 15x8 pro comp aluminum wheels and had a nice stance but hated how impossible there were to keep clean:
n529836560_1461326_1735.jpg

currently i am rocking the stock Sport Trac wheels with 285-75r16 Bridgestone Revo 2's:

10130_157083911560_529836560_3207536_2131775_n.jpg

So do i go with some 16x8 chrome steel wheels? chrome is much easier to clean in my experience and they will look like my aluminum wheels:

images.ashx

i would even like to go 16x10 but my old 15x8's rubbed a little already, im sure my less aggressive and slightly smaller tires may allow the 10" wheel

OR do i keep the stock wheels and just do 1.5" spacers?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i really want to get spacers but a lot of people frown upon them and i really need them cuz my 33s are rubbing but i dont know where to find them and if i should i have a 15 x 10 rim with 33 12.5

Get the chrome wheels.

i really want to get spacers but a lot of people frown upon them and i really need them cuz my 33s are rubbing but i dont know where to find them and if i should i have a 15 x 10 rim with 33 12.5

Jeremy. 15x10 or 15x8 is fine with that size tire. I'm planning on putting 15x8 on my truck this year with that same tire size. Don't you have a body lift? Where does it rub? Putting spacers will just add more stress to your bearings but its not THAT big of a deal.

Jeremy. 15x10 or 15x8 is fine with that size tire. I'm planning on putting 15x8 on my truck this year with that same tire size. Don't you have a body lift? Where does it rub? Putting spacers will just add more stress to your bearings but its not THAT big of a deal.

rear part of the fender on the very bottom in the corner where the 2 fender bolts are...

What is the backspacing on those procomps? I have an '02 trac 4x4 and I want to put some pro comps on with a 2" TT/Shackles in rear. Do you still have them?

Old thread but a good one to follow up on for newe/ newer members.

I believe he had either 3.75 or 4" b.s., this is what you want for 15x8" wheels to fit over the calipers on the ST.

I ran the stockers with 1.5" spacers, 285/75/16 on 1.75" TT, lift shackles and a 3" body lift. Here's a couple pictures of that setup, I had to do some trimming of the inner fender wheels and cladding...

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

And now I'm running 15x8" Cragar Soft 8's with 33x12.50x15 on 1.5" TT, lift shackles, 3" body lift, just alittle more trimming needed (wider tires)....

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

nice trac, man. When you say trim the inner wheel, are you reffering to the mud/wheel well plastic? Also, when you put on the 15x8's, did you need to recalibrate the vehicle speed sensor/ECM?

Yeah, the plastic inner whelwell and the side cladding (grey plastic piece).

The wheel size doesn't effect the speedo but going upto the 33's from the factory 30" tires did throw my speedo off alittle, I plan on upgrading to 4.56 gears when I do the SAS, SOA to fix that issue. I'll post some pictures of the "trimming" so you can see what I'm referring to.

so.... whats the max tire size a trac with a TT and Shackles?

This is the pictures I have, I can take better ones tomorrow. If you look at the back of the front tire you can see the cladding is cut away and in the second picture is of the wheelwell and the first bolt section is cut off.

picture.php

picture.php

I drilled some holes and ziptied the plastic wheelwells back.

You can technically fit 33's with just a TT and SL but you'll need to do extensive cutting/ trimming like I did and or possibly take the cladding off completely.

Check out Texasplates Trac, IIRC he's running 35's.

Thanks for all of the pics and help, man. Helps me out a ton! Also, aside from the plastic and well well plasic rubbing, any problems with rotors or A-arms? Also, when you do the TT, how much stiffer does the ride get?

Only do a maximum TT lift of 2" "No more", the ride will get alittle stiffer but settle after a while.

I was thinking about running spacers on my 18x9 rockstars just for a wider looking stance. I love the wider look of a 10" rim.

Hey all, been keeping my eye on this thread for a while...
If i do 1" Spacers should I go ahead and swap out my ball joints? They are the stock ones still and Im at 96k miles... I just dont wanna drive like 400 miles with the spacers then have somethin' break

Becuase of mileage I would do the balljoints, just to be on the safe side even without the spacers.

I just replaced all four balljoints on mine and tie rod ends (gotta get it aligned anyway might as well replace those too) besides the boot on the driverside tie rod end ripped so it needed replaced anyway.

It's more more up front doing it this way but saves you in the long run with tires, cost of another alignment down the road. Your taking then frontend apart anyway so why not just replace it while it's apart, that's how I see it anyway.

Check you hub bearing assemblies too, these will get more wear from spacers then the balljoints.

Sweet, thanks rebel. May have to post-pone my install until i can save for all the replacement parts.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back