• Register Today It's free!

ranger 2.3l p301 code

steward70

Reaction score
City, State
des moines iowa
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 ford ranger 2wd 2.3l
hi i got a 97 ranger 2.3l 2wd and the p301 comes on it runs rough when u rev it up and comes down to idle it wants to die. now i have checked the cylinder compression and #1 is 50 #2 3 4 is all at 62ibs. i have replaced all plugs both coils and the wires also the #1 injector. i also replace the egr valve the idle air control cleaned all ports the throttle body with carb cleaner also checked all the vaccum lines replaced a couple under the intake. now my question is i still got a rough idle when u rev it up, now when u do that is comes out of it and runs good but if u rev it up it does it again,also the p301 light does come back on, it seems like when u drive it for a while it runs fine and when u do u rev it up it does come out of it but when its cold it does it more this is getting to me can any one help give ideas this is nuts please help.......:rangerred:

..It's hard to tell what the problem is with your description in one long paragraph..:scratch:..It seems like you are just throwing parts at it...

..A p0301 code is a misfire on #1..

..Although this thread has no answers, it should give you a good idea of what to look at..;)
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=205169&highlight=p0301

...If you verify everything as he did in that thread, my guess would be you will either have a coil pack problem or eventually end up changing the timing belt...:hammer:

soryy about that i know it is #1 misfire but every thing test good ohmed everything. its got 2 new coil packs ,plugs,wires,iac motor and egr valve..
im just starting to replace one by one,also has new intake gaskets and plunium gasket.

im thinking maybe valves or worn cam lobes,i havent check that yet.. just takeing ideas...

also has new timing belt to and everything is the same,new fuel filter to and fuel pressure is good

Back