Tbars4

Moderator Emeritus
Elite In Memoriam
Reaction score
City, State
anaheim hills,california
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 ranger 4x4/ 91 X 4x4
I recently have been asked about my shell and my carpet kit so I thought I would post some pics...I custom built this carpet kit modeled after one in one of my big trucks...The shell was ordered with carpet on the the lid and i had an optional interior headlamp installed...
This unit serves my purpose of concealed storage and also recreational use...It also makes two levels of storage in the rear....The center deck was cut into a 60/40 split and both pieces can be elevated for storage or lay flat for camping or the beach, or one section elevated and one down as needed for different hauling situations...
I thought about adding stash holes on the end for fishing poles and such but the wheel well was pretty high so I didn't...
In my big truck I ran a cigarette lighter built into the carpet kit with quick disconnects, , to power tv, laptop car vac etc....
I left the factory bed liner in so i can easily remove the carpet kit, haul trash or whatever and then easily hose it out....
Note the beer holders...they also work as change and small parts holders...and yes, it also doubles as a sunken water dish, lmao...

beerholdervd5.jpg

carpetkit008wu1.jpg

forthebeachke8.jpg

forcampingap3.jpg

carpetkit004lk5.jpg

underneathstorageuf3.jpg

thisismytruckvw7.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Your truck is really clean! :eek: Looks good. :thumbsup:

keep the dog on bottom jk

Thanks...these shots were before i did the lift and the trim painting....it still gets dirty but i need to be organized too...thats why another ranger is in my future...a real get down and dirty truck...maybe an X in my future too :eek: :confused: ???

she's "El Jeffe" aka for gringo's, the boss, lmao

details on carpet kit

That's an excellent homebuilt carpet kit. Could you share the details of the construction? What did the frame look like before the carpet? What kind of carpet is it? How is the carpet fastened to the wood? How thick are the floor panels that you made? It looks like the carpet is folded or tucked underneath. Sorry for all the questions, but I really want to build something like this and am looking for a starting point.

Thanks,
Mike:salute:

...the boxes and the movable decks are made from 3/4" plywood which is all glued and pin nailed with 16 gauge nails...the carpet is a uv resistant, high quality marine carpet, that is used on ski boats and is glued down with a special spray glue just for this type of application...and the carpet edges are just rolled over the edges about 2-3"...

...you will have to find an wholesale upholstery supplier for the best prices and materials...i hope this helps...:D

...thank you....it comes in real handy for my daily tool storage and occasional camping...;)

...:eek:..6000 post...can i redeem these somewhere, lol...:D

Makes me miss the 6' bed in my ranger. It sure was nice being able to sleep in back...

...and that makes me miss your old ranger...i sure wish i was the one that wound up with it...i sure hope it went to a good home...:(

Do you happen to have any measurements? What kind of hinges did you use on the box top?
Thanks

Thats awesome, good idea, nice way to keep a cooler in the back then when the sun beats through the window it beats on the top level :thumbsup:

...08ranger, i may be able to post up some more pics next week if you are still interested...and, there is no hinges or mounting hardware at all...:D

Thats awesome, good idea, nice way to keep a cooler in the back then when the sun beats through the window it beats on the top level :thumbsup:

...the tinted windows help, but the best is having sliding rear window and a slider for the shell...the truck stays locked up and all the heat easily vents out...;)

please add more pictures

Please add more pictures and construction details, I am getting ready to build mine and am looking for some good ideas. No hinges? Do the tops of the compartments just lift up?

Thanks for the ideas and the help,
Mike

That is real nice man. When i get my ranger later this year i think this will be my first mod. I might even put in a lil jumper set in the back.

Please add more pictures and construction details, I am getting ready to build mine and am looking for some good ideas. No hinges? Do the tops of the compartments just lift up?

Thanks for the ideas and the help,
Mike

...on this one, there are no doors on top...the ranger short bed with the bedliner leaves little room for storage in there...i did design it so uf i want to add doors on the end for say fishing poles etc., i have room...;)

Old thread I just read... Nice Work Tbars!!!

...Thanks...:D

...I'm still getting around to adding doors on the ends of both boxes...Just more stuff for the to-do list..:hammer:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back