Ranger manual hubs on Expo?

Handy

Reaction score
City, State
Clear Lake, Iowa
Year, Model & Trim Level
'86 LX
Hi guys,
I am in need of replacing my auto hubs on my '93, you all know why. While at the slavage yard a while ago I saw a '91 Ranger with a set of Warn manual hubs. Will these from a Dana 28 fit the 35 under the Expo? I don't want to buy a new conversion as I only need to make it through the winter as this coming spring I am doing a SAS so I don't see the need to put $150-$200 into an axle I won't keep. Any help would be great. Thanks.

Paul

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I doubt that it would fit. You would need to find out if the spline count and lug patterns are the same. Also, I think it's more than just replacing the hubs. For most hubs I've seen, there is a conversion kit that you have to get with them, as I don't believe you need the cam that actuates the auto hubs in there(but you do need some things - not sure exactly as I've not switched to manual lockers yet)

Hubs from a true Dana 28 won't fit the Dana 35. Hubs from a Dana 28/Dana 35 hybrid axle will fit the Dana 35. As I understand it, the true Dana28 was only in production through mid '90. After that, they used either a D35 or the D28/D35 hybrid (hybrid meaning they used D28 carrier/R&P/etc. in the differential but used D35 axleshafts/knuckles/etc.). The tech library at www.therangerstation.com has a few good writeups on axle id and information on the hybrid (http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/4wd_Front_Axles.html).
In short, I wouldn't be at all surprised if those hubs would fit your Explorer. Just be sure to get everything (locknuts, washers, etc.). And, if you have trouble getting the D35 locknuts, information I've come across suggests that the Dana 44 locknuts will fit the D35.

I just looked. Looks like you are in luck. You WILL need to take the Nuts and washers that hold the Spindle on. That is "The Kit" part.
No big Sockets necessary, A pair of channel locks should do it. They shouldn't be on that tightly

I called the yard and found out it has a 4.0. Would that not mean more than likely it has at least the hybrid? The good news is they are Warn hubs and he is going to get the spindle nuts too. All for $50. He said that the pumkin was smooth so I am sure that it is the hybrid 28/35. Si I will get them and find out for sure. Thanks for the help guys.

Paul

Back