Rapid Popping / Clicking After Shut Down | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rapid Popping / Clicking After Shut Down

FreeFal311

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer Limited
Does any one else hear a rapid popping / clicking from the front of their 2020 Explorer a few seconds after turning off the vehicle? What I'm hearing on mine is best described as electrical popping or arching. The sound can also be described as electrical discharge or similar to the sound of spark ping during acceleration. It's very rapid, lasts only a few seconds, but is very audible in a garage with a window down. It's louder when the engine is warmer / has been running a while. It's very faint or non-existent if the engine is cool or has not been running for long. It's very easy to hear standing at the front of the vehicle using the remote start feature to start and then stop the motor after letting it run for 10 minutes or so.

I don't necessarily think this noise is abnormal, although it could be. I'm mainly curious if others hear the same and if anyone knows what it is. And, I'm not referring to the Transformer noises that the vehicle makes periodically while shut down. This sounds to me like a capacitor discharging or electrical pressure being relieved. But, it could be some servo motor jammed or even coolant pressure. Anyway, if I were to hear a noise like this from any of our other vehicles, it would definitely indicate a problem. But, on this vehicle, I have no idea.

Sure it’s not the sound of the exhaust contracting while it cools?

Sure it’s not the sound of the exhaust contracting while it cools?

I guess I can't be sure, but if it's exhaust contraction, it's unlike anything I've heard before. It seems to originate too close to the front end to be exhaust, but I won't rule it out. I'll post a video of it when I can get around to it.

Back