Rattle / Check Engine / won't start | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rattle / Check Engine / won't start

vec104

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Explorer Sport Trac
on my way into work today i heard a rattle underneath, got into work checked oil and tranny fluid all good, took it out and the check engine light came on and truck stalled, can not get it restarted, just had new battery, plugs, wires , fule Filter and tension pulleys replaced. Also had the transmission rebuilt. had to get it towed to a mechanic since I am out of town. Any ideas

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It is a nasty thought, but seems like whenever I replace the fuel filter on my Fords, I lose the fuel pump within 6 months. Will be interested to find out what it is.

An old mechanic once told me that you need fuel, spark and correct timing for an engine to start... I am guessing fuel, followed by timing...timing chain?

well just heard back from the mechanic.. It was the timing belt which broke and now they say i need a new engine, quoted me $5700 great, looks like the truck is a goner

that sucks. I'm dreading the day my timing chain(s) goes. I wouldn't say you need a new engine though. These can be replaced. But, maybe the cost of doing so you could get new engine. Sucks you are out of town with it as well or I would say to get some other estimates/options. Sorry man

well just heard back from the mechanic.. It was the timing belt which broke and now they say i need a new engine, quoted me $5700 great, looks like the truck is a goner

Uggh...gotta understand what the timing chain / belt does...basically if the valves are down in the cylinders and the pistons come up and hit them, you got broken or bent pistons or valves.Sorry to hear of your bad luck...

three things you need to make a engine run are fuel, spark and compression...

Back