Help! @ Disneyland, timing chain rattle: check engine | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Help! @ Disneyland, timing chain rattle: check engine

nmroughranger

Reaction score
City, State
New Mexico
Year, Model & Trim Level
00 4x4 4DR 4.0 SOHC
My timing chain tensioner is constantly rattling and running rough, check engine light, sohc. Is it safe to drive a short distance or should I tow?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Damn, enjoy the trip for what it is, you may already be in it with the engine. Based on the fact it's running rough. ^^^ definitely do not drive it.

I towed it out here behind my RV. 15 years old, 115K, starting to be a money pit. Wondering if car max would give me anything for it out here. Thoughts?

Can I get the neutral tow to engage without actually starting the engine?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-4-0L-R...OEM-/191450881556?hash=item2c935c9e14&vxp=mtr

Thats the set of tensioners. I just replaced mine, 129k on the clock. the front top tensioner is quiet now, the rear one rattles a little bit. no need to pull the motor. top one is accessible from near the Tstat housing under the hood. Rear one is accessible through the passenger front wheel well, take the wheel off. it's located right behind spark plug #6 .

If you replace them, make sure to use a breaker bar to break them off, unscrew by hand. When tightening, use a torque wrench. Tighten to 59ft/lbs or else it WILL LEAK.

good luck

I towed it out here behind my RV. 15 years old, 115K, starting to be a money pit. Wondering if car max would give me anything for it out here. Thoughts?

Realistically, Carmax is going to give you a # based on the lower end of the estimate spectrum. I.E. if the truck is est. between $3500-4500, you're probably getting $3500 unless there is some other known condition further reducing the value. They like nice round numbers. It's one of the ways they make things "hassle free".

On my way home with it in tow behind the RV. Just realized that I posted this in the wrong forum, I have a 2000 model. I might just donate it and use the tax write off. No need to rush to a decision.

Back