• Register Today It's free!

Rattle In Rear Hatch Door

MikeTEC

Reaction score
City, State
Central Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Mountaineer 4.6L
My 2004 4.6 V-8 Limited has developed a rattle which appears to be in the rear hatch door somewhere. Any suggestions as to cause and possible repair?
Thanks in advance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hello! Those rattles are annoying, here are some tips :

1.) Spray silicone spray on all rubber stops in the tailgate/window (the stops look like nubs, I even sprayed in between the trim and the tailgate. Just make sure you clean up :) Spray everything very liberally, and spray again frequently. I think the spray stopped a majority of the bad sqeaks
2.) I put weather stripping around the perimeter of the liftgate trim. I don't know how much this helped. Be careful you don't make it worse by moving pieces that shouldn't be.
3.) Make sure that you don't have any clips in the liftgate panel broken (I did). It was top left side (driver side). I took a screw driver and straighten it out.

My tailgate is 85% less clunky now. It was so bad people on the phone complained.

Please let me know if these work - good luck!

Thanks, I appreciate the information. I believe I will try the silicone first, as it will be easiest. Even at my old age, I still have a bad habit of doing the hardest thing first. One would have thought I would know better by now.

Could I also add- I found one of my hinges on the glass was broken. I was able to repair it, the pin had broken and I replaced it with a metric dowel.

Also- what made the biggest diference to noise on mine was greasing the latch pin both on the glass and main tailgate.

Thanks again. Greasing the hatch latch pins is an easy thing to do to see if it will stop the noise.

Clean and treat ALL the rubber door and hatch seals.
Amazing the rattles and squeaks they make when dry.

Rattles fixed! Thanks folks. Sprayed the rubber nubs, seals and everything else with silicone, as mention in above posts and all is quiet. I will do it again real soon.

Glad I did it before I tore into the rear hatch and removed the plastic door covering.

I find you need to spray every couple weeks to keep it quiet. Keep a can stowed in your car :)

Back