rattleing when engine under stress | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

rattleing when engine under stress

robzila

Reaction score
City, State
kapolei, Hi
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 2x4
This rattling has been driving me nuts for so long i cant even remember when it started. Whenever im going up hill or when the engine is under a bit of stress there's a metallic rattling that occurs whenever its over 2k rpm. found a few loose heat shields under the truck, removed a few still no help... so im thinking it might just be my piece of crap transfer case because just the past few months Ive been slipping into 3rd or 2nd (cant remember) so now im looking at a rebuild on my tranny oooo great.... not to mention ive been getting bad gas mileage. im getting about 15 mpg now, and with my kkm filter system, aftermarket exhaust that just seems way off....

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have the same problem. When RPMs get over 2500 or 3000 i get a metalic rattling sound. It really bugs me and i have no idea what it is.

I have it too, mine is the rt side timing chain making noise. From what I have found the tensioners get weak causing excess chain movement. The problem is the job is a PITA due to the rt side chain being located on the rear of the engine. I have been living with mine for a couple years.

Rob as far as the trans slip they are known for valve body failures. I had one of my techs adjust bands to no avail, next I replaced the valve body in the trans and things have been great with a minimal flare. It's 95%better than before.

My timing chains were replaced two years ago and the motor was rebuild.

Plus i dont think that would be the cause of robzilas problem because he has an 04 so its a job 2

I guess they cured that problem on job 2, I wasn't aware of that. I usually wish I hab a job 2, would save me some aggravation.
Rob the slip your talking about isn't the transfer case, it would be transmission related.

my new mission! figure out easy affordable way to lift the front end! (already done shackles/ tt) gonna do spring over axle conversion in the rear but dont know what route to take in the front

After a torsion twist there is no easy/affordable way to lift the ft end. Your best bet now would be a body lift. I don't want to offend you but don't you think you should fix your transmission shifting problem and poss. your rattle before performing a lift on thats not vital to the trucks operation.

yea true but if there was a relatively cheap way (like tt and shackles) no harm in doing it in the mean time

You've already done the cheap way. Sorry.

BTW, Job 2 motors are not free from the timing chain guides breaking down. They were improved, but not enough. Just because you had your timing chains rebuilt (the chains themselves were likely still good, btw) does not mean that the problem was solved.

well shes been running smoooth with no slips for over a week!(knock on wood!) since i posted this i have (in order) put on 32" tires (got all four for $20 total), cleaned my kkm intake, changed tranny filter and fluid, changed oil + filter, and i just put on some brand new taylor cable spark plug wires to got with my accel coil. Im determined to make it last me.

Back