• Register Today It's free!

Raw gas smell

Jettech498

Reaction score
City, State
Morrow
Year, Model & Trim Level
2021 Ford Explorer XLT
Just lately as in this last week, everytime I shut our 2021 XLT down, then let's say about 10 to 15 minutes later, I start it back up and get this raw gas smell from the HVAC system. It only lasts about 15 seconds or so but I can smell it big time, even my wife could smell it. I opened the hood up, couldn't smell a damn thing, no gas smell, crawled under it, nothing. It's like you stepped in gas and got inside and started it up. This doesn't happen when cold, only on a hot start. Has anyone else experienced this?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I haven't had this happen. If you can reproduce it always I would get it into service and show it to them. I hope they can help you with this.

I haven't had this happen. If you can reproduce it always I would get it into service and show it to them. I hope they can help you with this.
This is a strange one. I just went out and looked at everything with a really bright light, nothing. Dry as a bone. I think I'll call the service dept. and see what they say. It can take several weeks just to get an appt. around the metro Atlanta area which is no fun for a concern like this.. Anyhow thank you for your reply sir. I'll be sure to report back what, or if anything was found.

This is a strange one. I just went out and looked at everything with a really bright light, nothing. Dry as a bone. I think I'll call the service dept. and see what they say. It can take several weeks just to get an appt. around the metro Atlanta area which is no fun for a concern like this.. Anyhow thank you for your reply sir. I'll be sure to report back what, or if anything was found.
Consider parking outside and not in the garage, until you have this resolved. Perhaps carry a fire extinguisher too?
My son-in-law just had a fuel related fire in his 2018 F250 Super Duty King Ranch Diesel. He's ok but the vehicle is toast.

Might be a bad injector. I had that happen on an older car where it would allow bleed off of tge fuel system as it set. Wouldn't get it in the HVAC but could get the smell from the back of the hood. That could be pulling into your hvac that way.

Now that it's been awhile since I posted this issue. It has apparently resolved itself. I no longer smell anything....zero.....and it only happened for a short amount of time. So I have no idea why at all, but it healed itself. All hail the self healing properties of Ford....lol...

When you fill it with fuel, when the nozzle kicks off, don't fill it more than that. If you over fill them, it goes into the charcoal canister, that may be what you are smelling.

When you fill it with fuel, when the nozzle kicks off, don't fill it more than that. If you over fill them, it goes into the charcoal canister, that may be what you are smelling.
For what it's worth, I have always gone 1 more click without any issues at all in any of my vehicles.

Peter

Back