RCD RANGER 4" coilover kit for "4x4" !! | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

RCD RANGER 4" coilover kit for "4x4" !!

so would the ranger kit not work on the explorer? or maybe just with some modifications? ive never looked at a rangers front end, but i always had the understanding that they were almost identical.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Originally posted by jasonb
so would the ranger kit not work on the explorer? or maybe just with some modifications? ive never looked at a rangers front end, but i always had the understanding that they were almost identical.

The front of the kit will work, the rear will not. I think the only thing different up front is the placement of the anti-sway bar. It looks different than mine in that pic.

does anyone know if or how much the fron diffy is dropped? wouldnt cv angles still be an issue? it seems that i remember looking at my setup and seeing that main bracket for the diffy wouldnt be allowed to drop without hitting the rear drop bracket for the lower control arm.

this has been a long time coming. if you have been following along in the mags the coilover is the newest rage for IFS lifts. I think off roader did a write up on a kit for the tundra. i would love to do this mod as i think it would be a much more stable and efficient lift as well as getting rid of those damned torsion bars which we all love so much.

right now its a matter of dough for me, but where there is a will there is a way.

Originally posted by BUCHVILLEMAN
does anyone know if or how much the fron diffy is dropped? wouldnt cv angles still be an issue? it seems that i remember looking at my setup and seeing that main bracket for the diffy wouldnt be allowed to drop without hitting the rear drop bracket for the lower control arm.
Most of the lift kits for the IFS drop everything (including front diff) 4" so that it is all at stock geometry. Otherwise you would have problems with the CV joints.

Well, I start at RCD on Dec. 10th. I'll be responsible for making sure a suspension system gets through the entire manufacturing from conception to public release. I know absolutly nothing about kit so don't grill me for answers to questions but from my interviews and stuff so far I can say this. The owner told me that they will not release a product to public till it's absolutely built to their standards and because of this they don't let out a lot of details so that they don't have the added pressures from the public. He also said that they want to build quality systems that are a step above the competitors. He said they used to build all of Pro Comps suspension kits but stopped to do their own thing cause they didn't want to work with a company that is not progressivly advancing it's product. He said they only use the best parts and won't ,in their opinion, release a system that doesn't fully stand up to the publics expectations. You should see the stock of Biltiens shocks they have on hand!!! I'm talking warehouse racks of shocks!! Cool stuff. I could tell by the little bit of detail about their manufacturing that he did describe to me that their stuff is nice. Anyways, there's my unbiased opinion on the company so far since I don't work for them yet or know details. I'll probably become biased once I get the details and learn more about the company. All I can say is that if everything the owner told me about their products in general is true you can expect the systems to perform well.

Its true, RCD is one of the best companies out there. I wouldn't put any other lift on my rig. Congrats on the new job! Now I have two inside guys!

--Sean

This is AWESOME! I have been biding my time, along with a lot of you, for a lift solution in my 96. By all means I will be trying to get one as soon as they are released... I can't wait!

Thanks for the info!

Kenneth Yoder at RCD replied:

"We do not have a system for the Explorer. We are not currently working on a system. It will be several years before we have a system."

So the only thing you can hope for is that it will be possible to use the front part from the Ranger kit.

That's ok. As long as the Ranger kit comes out. I used a Trailmaster Ranger kit on my Explorer. It will work the same for the RCD kit.

Well, it all sounds like some great news. Hopefully it all will work out in the end. I feel confident that we will now that we got one of our guys on the inside.:D Just kidding. Congrats on the new job Khris, I'm sure you're very excited and it sounds like it would be a fun job! Time will tell on where things go from here!:)

Thanks for all the Congrats!!1 I can't wait to get in there and get some experience. Trust me guys, I'll be pushing for you all since you seem to have gotten the short end of the stick on vehicles to be modified. I still don't understand why you didn't get a '91-'94. J/K!!! I'll definately keep throughing out the idea for a Explorer kit and I would think that by just doing a search here for RCD and letting them read through it they would see that there is interest. Especially if they realize how many of you are converting ranger kits over. It can't cost too much to make the minor changes to the Ranger kit and market it to the Explorer owners. I'll keep you guys informed on as much as I can and keep pushing for a kit for you deprived '95+ owners out there. LONG LIVE MY LIFTED '92!!!!!!!

Just a thought, maybe the reason Explorer lifts are not considered is due the liablility of roll overs. Who would want to take the heat for making the Exlporer more prone to accidents after all the publicity that there has been....so maybe they figure those who really want lifts will figure out Ranger lifts are almost the same thing.

SOA to complete the kit

doesnt matter... the front will fit just like any other 98+ ranger kit on a 95+ explorer. the rear can be done with 91 to 94 explorer 5.5" soa kit like superlifts for $120. Be nice if RCD made it though cause superlifts one has been said to break in some threads on here. Then just use the shocks of your choice. but the front is the important part. heck you prolly can trade in the rear ranger shocks that come with the kit with different ones that fit explorers from the reseller ya end up getting it from.

SOA
Dead Link Removed

hey soupbone... is that using the superlift soa kit? i didn't know it moved the shock mounts too. i really like that! i think i'll try to make it on my own though. RCD up front...soa in the rear! can't wait!

jasonb,

yes it is. It will fit 95+ explorer except you have to ditch the rear swaybar. its bigger and hits the shockmounts. I dont have mine connected anyways so no biggie.

sweeet! for $120, i may can handle bypassing custom fabrication. i assume it uses the stock springs though? COME ON RCD!!! hurry up! actually...they should wait until my checking account is done with the home renovations. :D

Originally posted by jasonb
sweeet! for $120, i may can handle bypassing custom fabrication. i assume it uses the stock springs though? COME ON RCD!!! hurry up! actually...they should wait until my checking account is done with the home renovations. :D

Jason I'm not so sure it will work with the monoleaf. I'm looking to do this also and it looks like I will have to get a set of 4-door springs.

i'm actually putting a set of 4drs on this weekend. found some off a 99 with less than 20k miles so i was pretty happy.

Khris and Sean, I'm thinking group purchase here!:D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just a thought - for the rearend, wouldn't it get better performance if you left it SUA and ran some nice arched leaves?

Back