RCD RANGER 4" coilover kit for "4x4" !! | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

RCD RANGER 4" coilover kit for "4x4" !!

Originally posted by 2001ExpSport
I think $1000 would be too much for just a front end kit. For $2000 that is not cool at all. Might as well do a straight axel swap for that much $. Crack must be cheap there cuz RCD is certainly on it.

Before everyone gets their panties in a bunch, I also think that Superlift charges too much for there kit as well. Trailmaster is the only one who is remotely close to being resonable. For 1400 you get new rear springs, shocks, and an entire front end drop kit.

Matt,
You can't do a live axle on the 95+ models, without lifting your truck about 8", because the 95+ models don't have that arch in front on the frame like the 91-94's have to allow the axle to compress without hitting the frame.

Yea it might seem like alot of money, but there is alot of stuff in that kit and alot of engineering envolved in making it, and that cost money also. Everything costs money when it comes out first, it's volume and competition that lower the price. These people are trying to get their money back on a product that probably won't sell very well because there really isn't that big a market for it. If not enough people buy it, they will stop making it.
The Super lift kit runs about $2100.00 because they include new extended steering knuckles, where as Trailmaster uses an extender and that damn steering slide. I don't like the steering slide. My turning radius is much bigger now than before. Also I have gotten high centered on the extended torsion bar brackets, another thing I don't like about the other kits. I would love to get rid of my trailmaster kit for this one. This new kit looks like it would be just the thing for rock crawling.
If you really wanted to do some rock crawling, it looks like this kit would be the best kit of the three to get. JMHO Now to figure out a way to convince Sandy that We should have that lift on our Explorer.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Originally posted by Ray Lobato

Now to figure out a way to convince Sandy that We should have that lift on our Explorer.

Ray,
When you figure this out, can you let me know how you did it, seeing as I will have to convince someone also!

Originally posted by Ray Lobato

Matt,
You can't do a live axle on the 95+ models, without lifting your truck about 8", because the 95+ models don't have that arch in front on the frame like the 91-94's have to allow the axle to compress without hitting the frame.

I agree and I wouldn't mind the 8", but that would make it illegal. That's not the hard part though, converting from rack and pinion to pitman arm is.

I agree with you about the Superlift steering, Trailmaster's slide tube set-up is annoying and just a pain to install. It'd would be nice to see them switch to new spindle brackets like we see in this RCD setup.

Don't get me wrong, the RCD kit is great, but just high in the $ area. For us who only get out to wheel one every few months don't really need it and the high ticket sort of puts out of the market.

I tried to buy just the Superlift steering knuckles, but they wouldn't sell them to me. They would sell me the whole front portion of the lift at $1000.00. For 1K more I could get the whole RCD kit. I do know what you mean, 2 grand IS ALOT OF MONEY. It's not like I'm swimming in money myself. I'm hoping I can get it collected before it's not available. If not enough people buy, then it will go the way of the dinosaur, Extinct.

Expensive! Yes, Only if You can't afford it.

If you can afford it then its justified.

The price is the reason that all of the other companys have stopped trying to make one for the 95's - 97's. It's not impossible to make one. It's just that the price goes up and the company says! Hey to much money no one will pay that much stop production. From what I've heard most companys tried but gave up because they could not make them affordible.

Look at it this way... RCD make the kit availible, people buy kit, the price goes down. RCD makes killing because they are the only ones with the Ba**s to tryand market the Lift. Enter SuperLift & Trailmaster lets see if we can do it. Then More Lifts.

I know that I'll be getting one. They may not last.
I want to Run with the Big Dogs.
I want to be a Big Dog.
I don't want to watch the Big Dogs no more!

if wanna run with the big dogs click here :)
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=34222

i know IFS isnt a rock crawlers optimal config. But its really good for sand sports and for general all around use i think.. besides i only wheel maybe once a month and this is a daily driver. with a lift and front/rear lockers a explorer should be able to get plenty of places and over large rock obstacles stock explorers just cant go. i would love to be able to run the rubicon up north one day even though body damage would be expected. then maybe run some dunes in so cal.

I have read that RCD lifts dont require you to extend the front shaft at all on f150online. They only drop the front diff like 2" and angle it or whatever. I find that interesting. Also I dont think id would be running those traction bars. Since RCD designed F150/exp kits for the border patrol I think it could stand up to my abuse just fine :)

Hmmm. I wonder if i could just add the coilover to my 2wd setup. From the picture, the kit seems to just be the coilovers,spindle, and swaybar link. Am i missing something? Since i already have the spindle in the front, i think all i have to get is the shocks and swaybar link. Is that a good idea? How much do those shocks cost?

-Ray

If you look closely, is looks like there's a drop-down bracket for the lower A-arms. I think it also has new upper A-arms...

[edit] No, my mistake. After looking at the pic again, it looks like the upper A-arm is the same, but the balljoint on the spindle is moved up higher for it to connect. Follow the link - http://www.offroadrangers.com/offroadexpo01.shtml - I think there are some pics that better show the drop-down bracket (that may be the wrong term... i dunno)

[edit again] I just found this pic (sorry, guys, I don't know how to post images, a moderator can fix it please)
RCDRanger8.jpg
You add a mount for the coilover to the lower A-arm. I think all the RCD parts have a black crinkle finish, so you can spot them from the OEM stuff...

Hello guys,

I am the one who took those pictures at the Off-Road Expo and I have been in contact with RCD. For those of you who want a quality kit, but don't want to ante up the $2000 estimated price for the coil-over kit, RCD will also be offering a traditional kit (similar to the F-150) utilizing the torsion bars and Bilsteins. This kit will be in the $1200-$1400 range and is also 5.5". RCD is estimating 8" of wheel travel with the c/o kit. At the Expo, it was fitted with 33" tires, but on Bilstein's site, it has 35s.

RCD told me last week that the kits will be available in Spring (been pushed back a bit). I plan on putting on one of the kits and running 33x10.5" BFG K/Ms on the stock FX4 Alcoa wheels. I have not decided which kit to buy, but I am very interested in seeing how the c/o kit performs. My only concerns are the thre bolts for the lower c/o mount, and the hoop that holds the top of the c/o. In person, eventhough it was a prototype finished the day before, everything fit great, looked top notch and felt sturdy. Let me know if you have any other questions.

--Sean

Hey,

Hello and welcome to the site. Would be nice if they made a whole boxed kit for 95+ explorers also since they share the same front suspension as 98 plus rangers. The only difference would be rear suspension. we cant use the rear blocks and rear shocks that would be included for a ranger. A spring over axle kit with shocks or a full replacement leafs with longer shocks. The SOA would be alot less expensive though. Also are any front driveshaft mods expected?

Thanks

Welcome to the site!

I have a question for you...Can the front end of the lift be bought by itself?

Thanks,
Jason

Check this out, I've got a job interview with the owner of RCD next Monday morning!!!

Originally posted by DesertSpive
[At the Expo, it was fitted with 33" tires, but on Bilstein's site, it has 35s.

--Sean [/B]

These looks like 33x10.5 where did you see the truck with 35s?
132-645-5055.jpg

Oh and was the c/o hoop top connector sorta like this one? Pics dont show...

Dead Link Removed

Oh and sirhk100 good luck with the Job. Maybe after you pass their probabtion you can let me in on the employee discount ;)
heh

Originally posted by soupbone

These looks like 33x10.5 where did you see the truck with 35s?
132-645-5055.jpg

Oh and was the c/o hoop top connector sorta like this one? Pics dont show...

Dead Link Removed

No, at the Expo it had 33s on American Racing rims, that pic looks like 35s on the new Axis rim to me. I was unable to look under the hood to see if the hoop was tied together, i don't think it was. Also, I have no info about what pieces can be bought together or seperately. It is still in devlopment. Also, are there any other pics like that of it? I can't find that gallery at f150online.

--Sean

Well seeing as that I don't use my Explorer as a daily driver, they (RCD) could use my truck to experiment on. I would be willing to do this to help my fellow Explorer owners out.

I sent e-mail to RCD asking about a lift for an IFS Explorer. Their reply was...

"Hello Mike:

We are not working on any systems for the Explorer. You may want to check the Rancho web sight.

Thank you for your inquiry"

So, is the Ranger that different from an Explorer up front?

No, it is not that different, but since it is designed for the Ranger, most companies are not going to tell you it works on anything else, liability and all.

--Sean

I spoke with my contact at RCD and he said my pics and coverage have generated about 50 calls a day to them and they are overwhelmed! He-heh, I guess that perked the ears of some competitors too, oops (hey, competition is healthy). Anyways, they say both kits (t-bar and c/o) should be available in March 2002 as it stands right now. They also said, for anyone that calls, they will not be releasing any informations beyond what I have posted. So please give the guys a break so they can make our kits, okay? Ha Ha! I will be in contact with them monthly to give the site updates.

--Sean

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sean,

I guess there is two ways to look at their response. One is that they dont want to get any hopes up and put themselves on a deadline. The other is that they don't want to give the competition any insite to their R&D. It kinda suprised me when they referred me to Rancho. I hope someone does something quick. While they are at it they could also make a kit to swap in the 8.8 front diff out of the Expedition. I have a feeling that the existing front diff is real weak. And then maybe a stronger transfer case, transmission, ............now Im starting to ramble.

Back