Re-use a 2015 Mustang key fob for 2017 Explorer | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Re-use a 2015 Mustang key fob for 2017 Explorer

I'm confused now. I don't want to buy one, I want to reprogram the Mykey from my 2015 Mustang GT which is a 5 button with remote..

Don't worry about being confused. We got off on a bit of a tangent. The reason for the difference in actual Strattec part #s is because the Mustang key has the Mustang logo on the bottom, not the Ford logo. Otherwise they are identical. If you are 100 percent sure you have followed the procedure properly and get all the notifications in the cluster during the programming process and it refuses to program the Mustang fob you are likely out of luck since you no longer have the Mustang.

Last edited:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

After reading this, it says you can clear out all the MyKeys with the Admin key........ does not mention that those MyKey keys need to be present for this clearing. So that would lead one to believe nothing is being written to the key when the MyKey is created, but that the info is written to the car with respect to the keys it recognizes. So if that is so, the Mustang key should not be affected by the previous MyKey programming? https://owner.ford.com/how-tos/vehicle-features/locks-and-security/mykey.html

As Jason says, make sure you are doing the programming correctly

Use the Patrick S instructions here, make sure to get the 5 second intervals right http://www.explorerforum.com/forums...ey-fob-programming.437901/page-2#post-3616246

I have tried everything I have been able to find here and elsewhere on the internet with no success so far. Any other ideas? Just to re-iterate, I want to program a 2015 Mustang key (that I had programmed as a a MyKey for the Mustang) for the 2017 Explorer I traded the Mustang for. All three key fobs I have are 902 MHZ with remote start and the same FCC number.

This procedure below did not work? Best to take the FOB off any key ring that is attached so keys are out of the way. I would have any other FOB's for other cars, RFID access for work, etc, out of the car out of the way.
The buttons should be pointing to the rear of the car when inserted in the slot, key ring end up. As each one was in the slot, the other two I had on the passenger seat.. not all three down inside the console at once. Don' t confuse which one is which. Temporarily label them if needed, 1,2,3. Make sure to wait the five seconds. I counted 1001, 1002, etc. Car door should be closed.

1. You must have two working IA keys
2. Insert the 1st working key into the key slot in the center console. Key ring up buttons out.
3. Push the start/stop button and wait 5 seconds.
4. Push the start/stop button.
5. Remove the 1st key and place the 2nd working key in the key slot in the center consule. Key ring up buttons out.
6. Push the start/stop button and wait 5 seconds.
7. Push the start/stop button.
8. Remove the 2nd key and place the new key to be programmed in the key slot. Key ring up buttons out.
9. Push the start/stop button and wait 5 seconds.
10. Push the start/stop button.
The door locks should cycle and you will get a key successfully programmed message on the left dash display.

This procedure below did not work? Best to take the FOB off any key ring that is attached so keys are out of the way. I would have any other FOB's for other cars, RFID access for work, etc, out of the car out of the way.
The buttons should be pointing to the rear of the car when inserted in the slot, key ring end up. As each one was in the slot, the other two I had on the passenger seat.. not all three down inside the console at once. Don' t confuse which one is which. Temporarily label them if needed, 1,2,3. Make sure to wait the five seconds. I counted 1001, 1002, etc. Car door should be closed.

1. You must have two working IA keys
2. Insert the 1st working key into the key slot in the center console. Key ring up buttons out.
3. Push the start/stop button and wait 5 seconds.
4. Push the start/stop button.
5. Remove the 1st key and place the 2nd working key in the key slot in the center consule. Key ring up buttons out.
6. Push the start/stop button and wait 5 seconds.
7. Push the start/stop button.
8. Remove the 2nd key and place the new key to be programmed in the key slot. Key ring up buttons out.
9. Push the start/stop button and wait 5 seconds.
10. Push the start/stop button.
The door locks should cycle and you will get a key successfully programmed message on the left dash display.

Thanks Jeff118, I will try again.

Also no foot on the brake pedal when pressing the start/stop button......... not starting the car.

Back