re-wire fog light swich to be always on? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

re-wire fog light swich to be always on?

As you know, when your high beams go on, your for lites go off. I want to be able to have my fogs on with either hi beam or low beam.

Is there a way I can pull the fog light swich and wire it to an ignition source? That way, I can turn on the fogs whenever I want.

I'm sure there is a thread on this, I just cant find it!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks Billy. I'll try to remember but you know I am old.....

Thanks!!! I knew it was out there!

Silly question

Why would you want the fog light and the high beams to be on at the same time? In the fog high beams make visibility actually worse. I'm not sure about the law but it makes sense to me to prohibit the usage of fog lights during non-fog driving just like the high beam and other auxilary lights are/should be regulated to prevent blinding of other people.

Of course lots of modders don't care about such things and buy non DOT approved lights and bulbs that are readily available at stores such as Target, K-Mart and Wall Mart.

Since our Explorers are on a dual-headlamp systems compared to the quad-headlamp system on yours means that when the high beams are activated, the low beams are automatically turned off to keep the bulbs from getting too hot, which ultimately melt the housing. So because of that, the area in front of the truck, which the low beams covered, gets dark while in high beam, but you'd be able see high and far away.

What this fog light/high beams will do is to replenish the lighting right in front of the vehicle to make it "full coverage". I hope I explained this correctly because I have done this myself. If not, please correct me.

[QUOTE='96explorereddiebauer]Since our Explorers are on a dual-headlamp systems compared to the quad-headlamp system on yours means that when the high beams are activated, the low beams are automatically turned off to keep the bulbs from getting too hot, which ultimately melt the housing. So because of that, the area in front of the truck, which the low beams covered, gets dark while in high beam, but you'd be able see high and far away. [/QUOTE]
You could use the light horn to temporarely lighten up the area closer to you.

What this fog light/high beams will do is to replenish the lighting right in front of the vehicle to make it "full coverage". I hope I explained this correctly because I have done this myself. If not, please correct me.
Normally when I drive with the high beams on I have to look far ahead due to the speed. Whatever is close to the car and in the dark spot of the high beam is doomed anyway.

The problem is that you cant get the fog lights to come on alone or with the parking lights without having them stay on w/the high beams.
Many use the fog/aux. lights as DRL.
I agree that at high speed it is easier on the eyes to have all the light focused way out down the road and none down in front.

Back