Really strange electrical problem. Need help! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Really strange electrical problem. Need help!

rbbaker

Reaction score
City, State
Calgary, Alberta
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 XLT, 1992 XLT
This is a strange one that I hope someone can possibly shed some light on.

My wifes 2002 XLT is doing some strange things that somehow must be related but I am not sure how. The issues we are having are as follows.

1 - When pressing the brake pedal we could hear the locks on the back hatch operating. I disconnected the door ajar switch for the glass hatch and it stopped the lock activation.

2 - Even when the truck is unlocked the button for the rear glass does not operate.

3- The rear window wiper does not operate.

4 - Intermittently, after the truck is turned off the headlights turn off but parking lights stay on. The only way to get them to turn off is to disconnect the battery.

5 - Intermittently, the interior lock buttons stop working. To get them to work again I have to power cycle the truck.

6 - When it gets dark out and the auto headlights activate, the headlights come on and work properly but the parking lights and the interior dash/stereo lights turn off and on constantly.

These issues all started when we got a major cold snap -30c (-22f) and a massive dump of snow.

The truck has a dealer installed Code Alarm remote start system that has been acting up for a while and only seems to work when it wants to.

common issue is wires on the door breaking (the wires in the boot) search the forum.
since you disconnected the door switch sensor it will always think that the doors are open that's why the interior light is on.

Back