Rear A/C Expansion Valve | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rear A/C Expansion Valve

Merc02

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Mountaineer 2wd V8
2002 Mercury Mountaineer. Dual Climate Control and rear A/C. Taking the summer to repair the A/C again. I hastily changed the compressor about three years ago because it failed. I also installed a new accumulator and orifice tube. (it had a lot of aluminum from the compressor on the screen)

It cooled good until the end of last summer. I checked the pressures and it was very low. It had an oily residue at the Pressure Relief Valve.(part number 1L2Z-19D644-AA) This is my primary suspect for this round of repairs. It was hard to identify the part because its not listed with a picture when you go to the parts counter at the dealer. Its mounted on the flange that bolts to the compressor.

I plan to replace the face seals at the compressor flange, the accumulator, orifice tube and all other seals I can get to. I also plan to address the front passenger and rear blend door issues.

My question is: At the rear evaporator unit, there is an expansion valve, should I inspect it for metal debris from the first failure, or would all of the debris have made it back to the accumulator and or orifice tube on the front half of the system?

I'm not sure if there is still some debris in the system causing the high side pressures to elevate to the point of tripping the pressure relief valve and releasing all the freon, or if I simply overcharged the system on the first repair.

OK, I got no replies so I opened up the inlet side of the TXV. There is no debris, nor any screen to catch debris.

Back