• Register Today It's free!

Rear audio controls not working

Andy94SC

Reaction score
City, State
Fenton, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Mountaineer
I've been searching here and haven't seen the answer to this question yet. I hope this is the right forum since it isn't about aftermarket audio...

We have had a 199 Mountaineer for about 3 weeks. We had the uplevel radio CD and cassette, but without the subwoofer or steering wheel controls. Over Thanksgiving we took it on a road trip and I wanted to try out the rear audio controls, but we couldn't get them to work.

I read through the owners manual and saw that you have to press preset 3 and 5 together to turn them on, but that isn't working. I cannot get the "headphone" icon to come on the radio display. Those preset buttons do work, as far as using them individually for radio presets. I tried several times, momentary presses, press and hold. I tried presets 2 and 5 just to be sure, and just about every other combination you could think of, and that icon never lit up, and I assume as a result that is why I never got anything out of the headphones.

Is it possible the headunit was swapped by a previous owner and the radio needs to be "enabled" for rear audio controls? Any ideas?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

is the HU in the front the stock one? if it isnt then you probably lost the rear controls unless you feel like doing some wiring...

The first thing to check would be the connector on the back of the HU. Pop the stereo out and see if they left them connected or not.

The other possibility (although I doubt it on a Mountaineer) was that the vehicle wasn't originally equipped with the high series center console and the console was added after the fact, in which case, the controls may not have ever been connected.

Start at the head unit and let us know what you find.

-Joe

I think it is the original headunit. It is definitely not aftermarket.

I'll check the connectors, but I got the impression from other posts that if the rear controls were unplugged, that you would lose audio from the rear speakers? Even if the rear controls were unplugged, shouldn't the icon on the radio still light up?

I would think that the HU would still display the headphones. Have you checked to see if the rear controls are plugged in to the harness back there?

There are two connectors on the back of the radio, and they both seem firmly connected. There are no empty connectors on the back of the radio.

I pulled up the panel with the two storage compartments at the front of teh center console, and found a big electrical connetor there, it seems OK as well.

I still haven't checked the connection right on the rear controls, I didn't see an easy way to get to them, and it's been too damn cold outside to spend a whole lot of time fooling around!

you'll need to remove your armrest (and the hinge/ rear interior tray bolts for CD-6 to get to the 2 bolts behind it), then three screws pointing to the back of the truck right behind the hinge. Then, there are some screws or bolts (I've seen both) behind the cupholder, and then you can pup off the cover, and there are 4 more fasteners holding on the rear control panel to the console. Overall, I think it would take you maybe 10 minutes to pull the cover off- just don't tug it too hard- if its more than held on by friction, you're missing a bolt or screw, most likely behind the cupholder. I have a spare rear control if you need one Andy.

the rear controls can be disabled from the HU.

Hold 3 and 5 down (i think) and a headphone will show up. the back controls should work.

the manual should show pictures of what the proper head unit should look like.. I point this out, because I have the stock system with rear seat controls, and when I had my radio out a while back, I noted there was 2 cables plugged in, plus at least one spare plug-in for the cd changer if equiped. It could be someone swapped out the high end HU when, say, the display quit working... just a thought. while it is very probably a stock HU in there, it may not be the high end one.

Back