Rear bearing replacement tools

07EddyB

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Bowling Green, KY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 Ford Explorer 4.6 V8
I've replaced the rear bearings on my Explorer but at the time I removed the knuckle and took it somewhere and had them press it. I have a few more tools now and I'm curious if anyone has done the job with the following tools:
To remove the hub I have this slide hammer:

Slide Hammer.jpg

To remove the bearing I have this:
Bearing remover.jpg

These are actually the exact ones that I have. Now the current bearings (and the hubs which were also replaced) have been in: Right 4.5 years for 34K miles - Left 4 years for 28K miles. I tend to think that since they are relatively new it would increase the likely hood of success. I'm getting some vibration and a little noise and thinking about the rear bearings again. Has anyone been successful at a bearing replacement using these tools or is a press mandatory?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If the knuckle was cleaned and anti-seize used on the bearings, you just may have success with those tools. But a small 10 or 12 ton press may be needed. I used a 10 T bench top press, but needed to persuade the first bearing I did with one smack with a bar and bfh while under full pressure.
Also have an OTC slide hammer and a set of adapters (from amazon) as you picture above. They have only been used a few times, but are inexpensive and have paid for them self very quickly.
Good luck.

If the knuckle was cleaned and anti-seize used on the bearings, you just may have success with those tools. But a small 10 or 12 ton press may be needed. I used a 10 T bench top press, but needed to persuade the first bearing I did with one smack with a bar and bfh while under full pressure.
Also have an OTC slide hammer and a set of adapters (from amazon) as you picture above. They have only been used a few times, but are inexpensive and have paid for them self very quickly.
Good luck.
Hey Bill - it's unlikely that when I farmed it out the first time that anything was cleaned and any anti-seize was used. You know how that goes.
I was hoping at this point someone had to try it at least once - it's a common failure point and someone somewhere has tried it without a press and I would think that this would be the forum where that person existed.
I understand that I may be the guinea pig here....

34000 miles for bearings...
Ford Genuines or replacement brand used?

Seems to be very low mileage for quality bearings

34000 miles for bearings...
Ford Genuines or replacement brand used?

Seems to be very low mileage for quality bearings
I sourced the rears locally so they are Moog.

Hi

What is the bottom line about the bearing extractor/installer kit described above?

Hi

What is the bottom line about the bearing extractor/installer kit described above?
usually they work just fine! and imo theyre all pretty much same quality (im going to get flamed for this) if i understand your questiin right! (im still waking up)

Hi

I haven't tried it yet and I never really got an answer here on if anyone else had used them before. If I replace a rear again I will try but no need right now.

Im thinking to try one ...but...

Moog assembled rear hub costs the same as the bearing kit plus the bearing tool...

How long the Moog national bearings will really last?

I'm around 30K on my Moog rear bearings and hubs from Advace Auto. They seem to be holding up.

And what about the knuckle rubber bushings?they are holding up too?

They seem to be. I can't find any play in anything and there is no noise. I'm at 134K right now so that would be 30K+ since I last had the knuckles off. Replaced the rear struts a few months ago but that was less intrusive.

Well...sounds good

I'm sure you've posted it before Bazz but what's the mileage on that Explorer you are restoring?

Now something about 180000 miles

Maybe a bit more but ive replaced (3 years ago) the instrument cluster with the old mileage lol

Back