Rear wheel bearing replacement question. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rear wheel bearing replacement question.

96743explorer

Reaction score
City, State
Big Island, Hawaii
Year, Model & Trim Level
06 explorer V6 4x4
when you replace the wheel bearings on a 2006 ford explorer, you press out/ in a new bearing into the old hub assembly right? you dont need to buy a new hub assembly. im going to buy a pair of Timkin bearings on rockauto.com , just wanted to ask because egay has some sellers that sell both the bearings and hubs together. thanks in advance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes, the bearing is pressed into the hub assy. The original hub is reused.

I replaced one of the rear bearings twice already and reused the hub. Probably the next time I'll get a new hub, but it's optional.

thanks for the info.

I replaced one of the rear bearings twice already and reused the hub. Probably the next time I'll get a new hub, but it's optional.

Even with a new hub with a bearing already pressed on my understanding is that the bearing still has to be pressed into the knuckle. Is this correct ? In other words I don't think there's a way of replacing a rear bearing without needing a press to complete the job.

You need a press, that's for sure.

Back