• Register Today It's free!

Rear brake pad removal?

wisneski7

Reaction score
City, State
Green Bay, WI
Year, Model & Trim Level
'01 Sport
Trying to replace the rear pads on my '01 Sport. Looking at my Haynes manual, it looks like there is just two torx drive bolts to remove. However, I dont see anything of the sort when looking at the caliper myself. Other than the brake line banjo bolt, I only see two standard bolts that appear to be the "slides" that the caliper floats on. So what gives?

Aaron

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Should be two regular metric bolts and a sliding mechanism. Very simple. That is how it is on my 96, yours should be the same.

I guess those two bolts come out and then it slides off? I'll have to take another look I guess.

Aaron

those 2 bolts are removed, the caliper gets lifted from bracket. the pad on the outward facing side of the caliper slides down out of the caliper ( it will probably take quite a bit of force) and the inside pad will pull out of the socket it's in (will also take quite a bit of force.)

just remember when you put the calipers back on to make sure those bolts are pushed back int the holes for the caliper to go back on. Or you'll look like an idiot like me trying to force them on for 10 min before realizing it, lol.
Posted via Mobile Device

Got them when trying again. But now there is a horrible scraping noise from the left rear, same side that was giving me problems. It took me all of 5 min. to get the right rear off/replaced. Does the parking brake use a pad that pushes against the inside of the rotor? I slid the left rear rotor off when the caliper was off and what appeared to be a tiny, worn, corroded pad of some type fell off. Im thinking this may be my problem....otherwise I guess I'll have to take it all apart again and see what I can figure out.

Aaron

Figured out the noise. There was a spring about 2.5-3in. long that had fallen off (I assume the parking brake assembly) and was between the dust shield and the rotor. Guess its time to replace the parking brake shoes now..

Aaron

Aaron,

Just replaced both rear pads and parking brake shoes on my 98 XLT tonight.

Ther's a good how-to link posted in the thread I started.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums//showthread.php?t=272060

Make sure the 2 piece lever assembly that spreads the brake shoes is free and lubed. Mine was rusted solid and resulted in no parking brake on the one side.

It's much easier if you have somebody help you. Especially when putting the parking brake shoes back together. Would advise getting a brake spring pliiers. The upper return spring on the outside is a ***** to get back on without the pliers.

Good luck.

Thanks much for the info! :D

Aaron

Back