Rear Bucket Seats? Pros & Cons | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rear Bucket Seats? Pros & Cons

Sure the console does stick up a little bit when everything is folded down but it is insignificant. For travelling with four adults, second row buckets are ideal.

Does it stick up or does it open up so that a flat surface is created? This is not insignificant to me. If we were folding down all seats it would be to have a large dog crate across there and it would be important that it be flat.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

How much front to back movement is available in the rear row?

Not sure the dimensions of your dog crates, but I think the rear doors of the X may also give you grief moving large square objects in and out of the second row. I know this from experience. I have a large parrot cage and there is only one spot for it in the back of the X - middle of the rear cargo area just inside the tailgate.

Another consideration, again in my experience, the material (carpeting) is very slick. Unless the cargo is strapped down, it does tend to shift. I don't think you will find adequate tie downs in this area.

Here is a link to some photos.

https://picasaweb.google.com/al.mcgillivray/2011FordX?authuser=0&feat=directlink

Thank you. The photos were a great help. I'm actually leaning right now to getting the bench seat. I think it will be better for cargo and for the times when we need seating for 5 and have something in the back of the car.

You have a good point about the doors and getting crates in there. I'm going to have my husband take crates to the dealership and try them before we make our final decision.

Update: We decided to go for the bench seats and took delivery of an Explorer Limited on Monday. I think there are advantages to the bucket seats but felt for us we had more flexibility with the bench seats.

We are ready to buy a 2012 Explorer Limited. My wife and I are trying to decide between the rear bucket seats with the center console or the 60/40 bench seat.

We have 2 elementary school age kids.

I'd love to hear from others personal experiences? Obviously, the vehicle will hold one less person, but other than that are there PRO or CONS to the rear buckets.

I'm new to this forum, but not new to Explorers. I had a 93, 96, 98, 00, and an 02. We are replacing our 2005 Trailblazer EXT with the 2012 Explorer.
Thank you all for your replies. I'm new here and amazed at the feed back I got from my post. We have decided to go with the bench so we have the extra space. Our main concern was that the seats recline and the bench does too.

Here's my next question: Is $300 over invoice a good, poor, or fair price for a limited?

Thanks!

We paid a little over $1200 below invoice for a limited this week. However, there is a $1000 incentive here so without the incentive it would have been a little over $200 below invoice.

Not sure the dimensions of your dog crates, but I think the rear doors of the X may also give you grief moving large square objects in and out of the second row. I know this from experience. I have a large parrot cage and there is only one spot for it in the back of the X - middle of the rear cargo area just inside the tailgate.

Another consideration, again in my experience, the material (carpeting) is very slick. Unless the cargo is strapped down, it does tend to shift. I don't think you will find adequate tie downs in this area.

Here is a link to some photos.

https://picasaweb.google.com/al.mcgillivray/2011FordX?authuser=0&feat=directlink

Thank you for the pictures! Is that the light stone interior?

That looks like the charcoal black. The light stone is very light, almost tan.

Yes it is the black. The photo was taken with a point and shoot camera just after the sun came up so the light was still quite golden and was shining directly in the open door. The black fabric looks nice when the car has been freshly vacuumed but very quickly shows any light colored lint - not sure where it all comes from;)

Back