Rear bumper assembly compatibility - 2002 Explorer Sport and 2002 Ranger | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rear bumper assembly compatibility - 2002 Explorer Sport and 2002 Ranger

benherrmann

Reaction score
City, State
Fuquay-Varina, North Carolina
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer Sport Trac
Hello all...

I have a mint condition Ford 2002 Explorer Sport Trac (well, it was mint until a week ago). A week ago I was rear-ended and I need another bumper.

Searching for superb condition bumpers in various salvage yards is almost impossible and most (if not all) of those are in less than ideal condition - especially to the vinyl bumper covers. And getting OEM replacement ones, new, is an impossibility.

However, I read somewhere - and this is where I need validation - that the 2002 Ford Ranger bumper assembly is the same one as the Explorer Sport Trac and I should look there. I see many new OEM Ranger bumper replacements, but I don't want to spend the $500 for a new one, only to have it not fit.

So that begs the question - "Is the 2002 Ranger rear bumper assembly (which looks the same on the surface) fit the 2002 Ford Explorer Sport Trac without any" issues?

Thanks in advance for any definitive word on this matter.

Ben Herrmann
Fuquay-Varina, NC

The only potential difference would be the mounts. If the frame mounting brackets are the same, and if they are the same distance apart, i.e. the frame width.

Measure everything carefully. Since this question was asked, I've been noticing Ranger bumpers. Today the thought hit me that frame mounted hitches for the Sport Trac don't fit anything else. To confirm this, I checked the E-Trailer website, and the Rangers and Sport Tracs do indeed require different hitches. That would suggest there's a difference in the frames, especially since the ST hitch is 3 pieces that bolt together, while the Ranger hitch is 1 piece. But, maybe the hitches are different because of a difference in bumpers, not the frames.

Back