• Register Today It's free!

Rear bumper

Mike Draper

Reaction score
City, State
Riverton Wyoming
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 XLT
Finally getting around to getting a rear bumper built. I used 3 1/2" pipe for the bumper, welded 3/4" tabs thru the bumper, used 2"X4"x .120 rectangular tube for the side pieces and 3/16" for the top.

Pipe is tight against the frame end...I thought about shortening the frame, but decided I liked the step:D I used 4" channel for the frame mount and added a 2" receiver hitch.

pict9860ev2.jpg

After taking a plasma cutter to the lower panels I welded the rectangular tube to the sides and the flat stock to the top. I then made an aluminum template for the plasma to follow...helps the looks I think.

pict9865wh7.jpg

Then made a cut parallel to the sides and removed the pie shaped piece.

pict9867vn7.jpg

With the help of a ratchet strap and a dead blow hammer I closed up the gap and welded it up.

pict9869ar3.jpg

I used a piece of 3/8" solid rod to fill in the gap and welded it up. I also added some braces underneath to strengthen the sides up.

Ran it outside and gave it a shot of paint...

pict9908gv0.jpg

pict9906ry5.jpg

pict9907ml0.jpg

Thanks for lookin' :cool:

Mike

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Nice job! Maybe use one of the new bumper side panels for a CB antenna mount?

You are wicked! That is incredible... Goooood job!!

looks great, pretty much the same thing i'm doing with my rear bumper right now except i'm using 1/2" 4x4 square tubing rather than round tubing.

Where did you get your d-ring mounts and how much?

Thanks guys!

No CB...yet, should get one I guess, I mostly wheel alone anyways. I'm afraid an antenna would get rubbed off on the sides :eek:

4x4x1/2" square tube!!! Should be plenty stout!!! It would make a great air tank if welded up good and tight.:thumbsup: I made the shackle mounts out of 3/4"x2" flat stock...drilled 7/8" holes in the stock then burned a hole thru both sides of the pipe and welded it up.

It wasn't too difficult of a project...don't think I want to do it full time tho..:p:

Next up will be the sliders....stay tuned!:cool:

Mike

Back