Rear Camera- Can it be turned on all the time? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rear Camera- Can it be turned on all the time?

jrzytrac

Reaction score
City, State
North Jersey
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Sport
I assume this is an ok forum for a camera question since it utilizes the NAV screen.

I was wondering if there's a secret way or a hack to put the rear camera on at will? I'd love to have it on while driving forward. Anyone ever accomplish this?

It seems that it can be done like that, buy you had better consule a dealer

I did this with an aftermarket wireless unit on my old 94 EX (was totaled a couple years ago). The one I used had a separate video monitor so I'm not sure if that would make a difference with an integrated one. The camera was spliced into the reverse light so would be powered when put in reverse. I thought about having it not just when backing up so found a hot lead and wired through a switch in the dash. The monitor would read the signal from the camera and come on when I powered up the camera. Only had it hooked up a month or so before getting rear ended (camera wasn't on so I didn't see it coming) so I don't know how constant power would affect the mechanisms.

If you ground out the connection to the reverse lights, the camera will ALWAYS be on, as it will detect as if the vehicle is ALWAYS in reverse.
Your best bet would be to hook up a camera to the RCA jacks, if they work when the vehicle is moving.

Back