Rear Coil Spring Swap | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rear Coil Spring Swap

Ok i got turn on to this by a friend after bending a shackle hanger.

Swap leaf for coils.

by getting parts from here www.ruffstuffspecialties.com actual pages

Coil spring mount for axle here

Coil top mount plates here

Coil spring lower retainer here

and axle truss
88truss2.gif

this could be an easy thing to do

i was thinking cherokee rear lift springs the weight should be about the same.

Center wishbone on the axle spreading out upward to the frame like so.. excuse the crude drawing

2036219_44_full.gif

someone good a photoshop should help me.

with a trac bar from the passenger side to the drivers side. in the last few hours (6) i have done a ton of research
thoughts opinions.. etc.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

I get "forbidden" -- is it cauz i dont have a red star? I are the newblet.

Doesn't work for me either and i have a useless red star.

edit:used firefox and now it opens.

look back at my post I edited it and rehosted the pictures in my own album, so every one can see them.

i like the truss....

true very true

why dont you just run a panhard bar like all the old ford front suspention set ups

why dont you just run a panhard bar like all the old ford front suspention set ups
Because if a rig had a panhard on both the front and the back, once off camber with the side with the frame mount on the high side, then the body has leaned way over to the opposite side. Of course this is dependant on the setup and how much travel the suspension is allowed.

Because if a rig had a panhard on both the front and the back, once off camber with the side with the frame mount on the high side, then the body has leaned way over to the opposite side. Of course this is dependant on the setup and how much travel the suspension is allowed.

Run the panhard on the opposite side of the front. No steering so it doesnt matter which side its on.

Run the panhard on the opposite side of the front. No steering so it doesnt matter which side its on.
Doesnt running the panhard on the opposite side have a weird chassis effect during off-camber situations?

Doesnt running the panhard on the opposite side have a weird chassis effect during off-camber situations?
I dunno, but it makes a wallowing effect on highway (if its a street driven rig).

run it like all the new durangos run theres. and i believe the tahoes have the same set up.

I havent seen the latest generation Tahoe but the previous generation I think runs a parallel 4 link with a panhard.

so why couldnt you use that setup. also have you thought about running straight uppers and triangulate ur lowers

running straight uppers and triangulate ur lowers
hehe - how do you think you're going to attach the lower links to the centered differential with the pinion/driveshaft in the way? Keep in mind that the upper and lower links must be at LEAST 7 inches apart verticall from each other, preferably more.

when poly performance built wayne statics bronco thats what they did. they mounted the lowers out by the tires and the to the trans mount up front. and ran the uppers from the transmount tight up again the dif housing

so guess i have to check this thread more often.. anyways going to swap fuel tanks screw it BII it is. my upper rear mounts may come off the front of a geo tracker.. geo tracker weight = same rear explorer. and its the right size.. and will fit the frame great.. dont ask.

Back