Rear Coil Spring Swap | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rear Coil Spring Swap

Ok i got turn on to this by a friend after bending a shackle hanger.

Swap leaf for coils.

by getting parts from here www.ruffstuffspecialties.com actual pages

Coil spring mount for axle here

Coil top mount plates here

Coil spring lower retainer here

and axle truss
88truss2.gif

this could be an easy thing to do

i was thinking cherokee rear lift springs the weight should be about the same.

Center wishbone on the axle spreading out upward to the frame like so.. excuse the crude drawing

2036219_44_full.gif

someone good a photoshop should help me.

with a trac bar from the passenger side to the drivers side. in the last few hours (6) i have done a ton of research
thoughts opinions.. etc.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

ok then how is this

2036219_51_full.gif

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

IMO, I dont think theres enough triangulation into these designs. There isnt that much room between the driveshaft and the passenger's side frame rail.

I don't mean to pick on redRanger's design.. but I'd like to use it as an example:
untitled45.jpg

Last I measured, the frame rail is about 36" (3 ft) wide. Half of that of course is 18" (1.5 ft). Take away a few inches for driveshaft clearance and that number is down to about 14-15". With those numbers, assuming the axle is at least 36" (3ft) from the upper link's pivot point, that only gives you an angle in the low 20 degrees. Whle that number is fine if there are two arms in triangulation, in the design above, there is only one.

Heh sorry for picking on your design redRanger, I'll make it up to yOU!! cookies 'n milk tonight! :D. As section525 says, hugs and kisses! <-- LOL wtf.

I would also like to point out that the Isuzu Rodeos, Amigos, Rodeo Sports used the Dana 44 rear axle with 4.10 gears and rear disc brakes. The width should be the same or pretty close. Only problem being wheel bolt pattern as it is 6x5.5" The rear is also set up for a 4 link. Just throwing the idea out there. The D44 used in Isuzus had a funky ring gear set up where the ring gear is thicker than a normal D44 ring gear. Just an idea.

Dan

I would also like to point out that the Isuzu Rodeos, Amigos, Rodeo Sports used the Dana 44 rear axle with 4.10 gears and rear disc brakes. The width should be the same or pretty close. Only problem being wheel bolt pattern as it is 6x5.5" The rear is also set up for a 4 link. Just throwing the idea out there. The D44 used in Isuzus had a funky ring gear set up where the ring gear is thicker than a normal D44 ring gear. Just an idea.

Dan

not to knock your post or anything but i am doing a coils spring swap on the 8.8 no need to change axles or anything. trying to get the designing down right. Before i tear it apart.

IZwack you didn't critic my last post..

or i could just go with a pair on side links and a trac bar be done with it but what fun is that.

How about ditching the stock fuel tank and use a fuel cell or BII tank in the rear? That should give you the room to do what you want to do.

time.. i leave for korea soon for a year so i wanted to try to do this before. may not happen.

going Friday to pick up steel to make new shackles to replace the ones i bent and to box in my frame for the sas and coil swap. depending on time that maybe all i get done before i leave (i doubt)

well i HATE to say it. But

I cant do this. I dont have the time. I need to finish the front first. After spending about 2 two under the truck with a 3ft peice of tube and some smaller one. Realized yep no option need to move to a BII tank in the rear so i have room for a wish bone. Just isn't the space.. I need to move the tank and the exhaust around to do this. they are both in the way. Unless i go with super short arms and no flex which = crap job and i dont want to do that. So. Thanks for the ideas after get back from korea i'll pick this up and run with it. This thread is on hold for now i guess.

I think you made a wise decision -- no point in rushing these type of things :) :thumbsup:

I think you made a wise decision -- no point in rushing these type of things :) :thumbsup:

Mr Senator are you taking that stance so you wont be out done by someone else or is that a professional opinion?

side note got yahoo? if so im got a few question on that sas to ask you.

Mr Senator are you taking that stance so you wont be out done by someone else or is that a professional opinion?
Ahaha, its ture. Politicians can not and must not be trusted. In fact, if you happen to run into a politician, burn him or her as quick as possible.

side note got yahoo? if so im got a few question on that sas to ask you.
No sorry dont have Yahoo. If you have AIM, I can talk to you on AIM tomorrow about SAS thingies (I have to sleep soon). Just PM me your AIM screen name and a time after 7:30 pm.

IMO, I dont think theres enough triangulation into these designs. There isnt that much room between the driveshaft and the passenger's side frame rail.

I don't mean to pick on redRanger's design.. but I'd like to use it as an example:
untitled45.jpg

Last I measured, the frame rail is about 36" (3 ft) wide. Half of that of course is 18" (1.5 ft). Take away a few inches for driveshaft clearance and that number is down to about 14-15". With those numbers, assuming the axle is at least 36" (3ft) from the upper link's pivot point, that only gives you an angle in the low 20 degrees. Whle that number is fine if there are two arms in triangulation, in the design above, there is only one.

Heh sorry for picking on your design redRanger, I'll make it up to yOU!! cookies 'n milk tonight! :D. As section525 says, hugs and kisses! <-- LOL wtf.

let me clarify my design, it doenst need alot of triangulation because it uses rubber bushings at the top of the frame end, so they only allow the wishbone to travel in the y plane and not the x plane. Thus locating the axle.

I cant find the threads but there are a couple yota guys running this setup over on pirate.

let me clarify my design, it doenst need alot of triangulation because it uses rubber bushings at the top of the frame end, so they only allow the wishbone to travel in the y plane and not the x plane. Thus locating the axle.

I cant find the threads but there are a couple yota guys running this setup over on pirate.
I think I gotcha -- yeah sounds like it would work. :D

why not just put a panhard bar on it?

BTW redranger4.0, if you run into those pics on PBB, please post em, I'd like to see this design.

yea im going to continue to look for them.

This seems like a pretty good idea. would a good coil set up out flex leafs?

Raker202.jpg

Raker204.jpg

Raker205.jpg

this is the truck

EDITED: I rehosted the pictures

I'm seeing red X's -- PBB is picky about linking images externally. Can you post a link to the thread?

Back