Rear Diff Axle Seals - 2013 Explorer XLT 4wd | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rear Diff Axle Seals - 2013 Explorer XLT 4wd

epeggsSTL

Reaction score
City, State
St. Louis, MO
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Ford Explorer XLT
Has anyone changed out their Rear Diff Axle Seals on the their Gen 5 Explorer? Mine has a seep on the right side, thinking about replacing both of them this weekend. There is no collection of fluid on the driveway, but the rear diff is definitely wet and the axle has fluid seepage. I hate the thought of a drivetrain part leaking fluid. Dealership wanted about $650usd to replace both, small shops (i called three) wanted about the same. The seals themselves are like $15 a piece. Then I would need fluid....

What kind of disassembly problems should I look for? Tools required for the job, etc.

Will be replacing the vent tube on the rear diff as well. Its leaking too.

I found this video on YouTube. I am hoping it applies to this model Ex as well.
or at least be similar

Thanks in advance!

You'll probably want an impact to assist with suspension bolt/nut removal.

You'll probably also want a halfshaft puller/slide hammer with attachment - loaner from local auto parts store.

You'll probably want a seal puller and installer tool - loaner from local auto parts store.

It is typically recommended to replace halfshaft circlips and axle nut, but your call.

You may want to get an alignment check at a minimum, when finished.

It's a good time to consider replacing/upgrading shocks, brakes, suspension parts/stabilizer bar at the same time.

Back