Anyone know the part number for the '04 Rear Diff Axle Seal | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Anyone know the part number for the '04 Rear Diff Axle Seal

dco43054

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
cmh
Year, Model & Trim Level
20 XLT
Searched the forums - even used a Google search - and couldn't find an answer. If someone has a link, please feel free to post. But -

I have been trying without luck to find aftermarket seals for the 2004 rear differential/carrier where the CV joints go into the housing. I managed to find a part number on the old seal 1L2W-4B416-AA but NAPA can't match it up to anything.

I did find an online Ford parts seller that shows the seal, but no current part number is listed.

Has anyone replaced the seals with an aftermarket seal? I think Ford wants $33+ each!

I bought a used rear diff from a salvage yard to replace the one that is howling in my 2002, and thought I'd replace the seals while I was at it. Great thought, but now I can't find the seals.

Thanks,

Dave

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well, it looks like it might be a National Oil Seal 100537V, but no one stocks them in Columbus

the number that was on my seal box is 100537 yeah I order my through advance auto and they had them the next day, they are the good made in the usa seals, they where like 8 dollars and some change, they are a lot cheaper the the ford dealer wanted, they had them in stock but like 40 dollars a seal, have been leak free for 3months:thumbsup:

the number that was on my seal box is 100537 yeah I order my through advance auto and they had them the next day, they are the good made in the usa seals, they where like 8 dollars and some change,
Thanks - what a PITA.

The guys at Autozone couldn't cross the Ford number, but the folks at Advance did find it and crossed it into the 100537. The only problem? They have them at the Roanoake, VA warehouse and to get them to me via free shipping will take a week. :(

I did manage to find one of the online Ford sellers who show not only the $33 seal, but one for $6. I'm wondering if the high priced one is really the "Redi-Sleeve", which Advance also listed.

We'll see when the dealer opens here in a little while.

yeah the 33 dollar one is the new seal, yeah advance auto got mine the next monday sorry I said next day but I ordered mine on a friday evening and had it monday morning and all I paid was the actual price of the seal. that sucks you have to wait a week.

also do you have a auto value? they can get them too and might be quicker???

also do you have a auto value? they can get them too and might be quicker???
No - no Auto Value - but I did just find some in stock in Kansas City, and I have a friend who lives fairly close by.

If I can't find anything local, I may just have him pick them up and pop them in a U.S. Mail flat rate box. $4 or so and they can be here by Friday, which is my next time window to swap out the diff.

I can't believe it is such a hard part to come by - especially since mine leaked on my '02, and lots of others seem to.

I looked in the National on-line and they say they are used in the Mustangs, as well as some exotic cars. You would think that NAPA could get them. The guy there was nice enough to offer to talk with his supplier today to see if they could get them.

yeah you have to be careful I actually talked to ford racing about the seals they sold for the mustangs, in there IRS kits, I order a seal kit from summit racing for a mustang, ( ford racing told me they would work) and the box said it was for the 8.8 IRS and when I received the seals they weren`t even close to fitting, they would fit the CV shaft but the OD of the seal was a lot smaller on the mustang, I was in a bit of hurry to get my seals too and I made the mistake of ordering the mustang seals.

www.streetsideauto.com has them in stock and can ship, but with the holiday, that screws me.

I did get a call back from NAPA and they are supposed to carry an equivalent shortly after the first of the year. Doesn't help me now, but it will help someone else later.

Just a little update to this old thread as I found myself in a predicament with the wrong seals. A google search brings up this thread. For some reason both RockAuto and a Ford parts website came up with a Motorcraft BRS40 which is the WRONG seal. Even Advanced Auto couldn't find it in their system even though they carry it.

The National number as indicated is 100537 which is Advanced Auto Parts p/n 20441828 if you back track the application in Advanced Auto it comes up with various Mustang applications but no Explorer.

The SKF p/n is 18005 which is also a NAPA NOS 18005 This version of the seal also comes with the axle clip.

The Ford number was 5L1Z-4A109-A Which changed to a 7L1Z-4A109-C which apparently changes to a 7L1Z-4A109-D

The seal dimensions are:
Axle Shaft Seal I.D. : 1.811"
Axle Shaft Seal O.D. : 2.874"
Axle Shaft Seal Width : .413"

My Explorer is a 2005 build date 10/04 with a 46 axle code. The case has 85-140W cast into the cover.

As for removing the CV axle, as discussed elsewhere, a piece of 1x2 and a smack with a 4# hammer pops it right loose. Removing the seal in lieu of a seal puller can be done by using a chisel and tapping the edge of the seal flange where it abuts the case (chisel parallel to the seal face) collapsing the seal edge inward. Only a small portion needs to be done then the seal can be popped free. The secondary seal on the axle shaft can be removed by gently driving a chisel between the seal & axle face, it takes very little effort to remove it. Hope this helps someone else.

Thank goodness for this forum! Sorry for bumping old thread, problem came up now ... updating the current availability status of these.

My '04 Explorer needs a seal change, and I couldn't find them locally. Thankfully Amazon carries them, as does Rockauto, Summit and a bunch of other places.

When I went to the Federal-Mogul page, the interchange lookup spewed out National 100537 as the direct replacement for the 1L2W-4B416-AA, and in fact, the pic shown at Fed-Mog for the 100573 is indeed a pic of a seal, showing the 1L2W-4B416-AA numbers imprinted on it. Also, as mentioned, it lists them for Ford, but only as '01-'10 Mustang application.

Also, apparently Timken also has them as the same part number as National ... Timken 100537 and both the Timken and National have the exact same dimensions:

Shaft Size=1.811"
Housing Bore=2.874"
Outer Diameter=2.881"
Width=0.479"

Rockauto ... National $5 ... Timken $7 (only lists Timken version when you look it up for your vehicle, but carries the Nat'l version if you just input the p/n into their search field)

Amazon ... Nat'l $8 ... Timken N/A

Summit ... Nat'l N/A ... Timken $8

Just a little update to this old thread as I found myself in a predicament with the wrong seals. A google search brings up this thread. For some reason both RockAuto and a Ford parts website came up with a Motorcraft BRS40 which is the WRONG seal. Even Advanced Auto couldn't find it in their system even though they carry it.

The National number as indicated is 100537 which is Advanced Auto Parts p/n 20441828 if you back track the application in Advanced Auto it comes up with various Mustang applications but no Explorer.

The SKF p/n is 18005 which is also a NAPA NOS 18005 This version of the seal also comes with the axle clip.

The Ford number was 5L1Z-4A109-A Which changed to a 7L1Z-4A109-C which apparently changes to a 7L1Z-4A109-D

The seal dimensions are:
Axle Shaft Seal I.D. : 1.811"
Axle Shaft Seal O.D. : 2.874"
Axle Shaft Seal Width : .413"

My Explorer is a 2005 build date 10/04 with a 46 axle code. The case has 85-140W cast into the cover.

As for removing the CV axle, as discussed elsewhere, a piece of 1x2 and a smack with a 4# hammer pops it right loose. Removing the seal in lieu of a seal puller can be done by using a chisel and tapping the edge of the seal flange where it abuts the case (chisel parallel to the seal face) collapsing the seal edge inward. Only a small portion needs to be done then the seal can be popped free. The secondary seal on the axle shaft can be removed by gently driving a chisel between the seal & axle face, it takes very little effort to remove it. Hope this helps someone else.

Those seals have 2 different part numbers. One is for an 8.8 Explorer the other is 9.75 Expedition. I might have the part numbers and or the trucks reversed. So I would just tell you need the axle seals for a 8.8 Explorer diff. The kit from Ford comes with multiple parts. I believe these are the numbers:

7L1Z-4A109-D: 8.8 Explorer 7L1Z-4A109-B or C: 9.75 Expedition And the fluid is XY-75W140-QL it is full synthetic. Ford never made 85W140. They only made 80w90 which is non synthetic. The Explorers should be synthetic.

I went to the local dealer w/ the old 1L2W-4B416-AA seal in hand, and they looked up the part, said they were out of stock on it, but came back with a seal repair kit that had the slightly modified seal in it (that they said would work) along with some other parts too, and then they wanted $90 a kit (1 per side) for!!! $180 for 2 axle seal kits??? That's insane! Typical stealership! :thumbdwn: I hope those aren't the kits that CS223 is talking about.

Also, yes, the 1L2W-4B416-AA (National 100537) is for the 8.8 r.g. axle.

I went to the local dealer w/ the old 1L2W-4B416-AA seal in hand, and they looked up the part, said they were out of stock on it, but came back with a seal repair kit that had the slightly modified seal in it (that they said would work) along with some other parts too, and then they wanted $90 a kit (1 per side) for!!! $180 for 2 axle seal kits??? That's insane! Typical stealership! :thumbdwn: I hope those aren't the kits that CS223 is talking about.

Also, yes, the 1L2W-4B416-AA (National 100537) is for the 8.8 r.g. axle.

Just wondering did you look at the picture that seal fits a Mustang not an Explorer. That seal is used on a solid axle not independent rear suspension according to the picture. I have an 05 Explorer 4DR. and the seal you need is alot different then the national one is. I am just letting you know. Plus the price seems extremely low for the type of seal you need. I know this because I worked in Ford Parts for 18 years. From my experience I have never been able to get the same seal from aftermarket vs. Ford. IMO anything cheaper then $40 - $50 per seal is not the correct seal. This type of seal was used on Explorer's 2002 and up.

The original seal that I pulled off my '04 4DR, 4x2 rear axle has the 1L2W-4B416-AA number on it, and it looks exactly like the one in the picture of the Fed-Mog page for the 100537 part, which, as mentioned before, Fed-Mog has a picture of a seal with the Ford numbering on it (which I just find kinda odd):

http://www.fme-cat.com/Interchange.aspx?pn=1L2W-4B416-AA

If you click on the part number (100537) and then enlarge the picture of the seal, you'll see the seal w/ the Ford part number, and the seal from my car looks exactly like that!

Ford dealerships using trademotion have the OEM replacement seal available for $25-$30.

The original seal that I pulled off my '04 4DR, 4x2 rear axle has the 1L2W-4B416-AA number on it, and it looks exactly like the one in the picture of the Fed-Mog page for the 100537 part, which, as mentioned before, Fed-Mog has a picture of a seal with the Ford numbering on it (which I just find kinda odd):

http://www.fme-cat.com/Interchange.aspx?pn=1L2W-4B416-AA

If you click on the part number (100537) and then enlarge the picture of the seal, you'll see the seal w/ the Ford part number, and the seal from my car looks exactly like that!

Ford dealerships using trademotion have the OEM replacement seal available for $25-$30.
type this part number into google 7L1Z-4A109-D and you see that the seal starts at about $36.00. They have pictures and the seal looks different and they are on eBay. I have worked for Ford for 18 years and I have never seen this seal sold aftermarket.

I did what you said and yes, they're on eBay and Amazon and a host of other places too for the 7L1Z-4A109-D seal.

I also went to the Fed-Mog interchange lookup and got back the same result, that is, both the 7L1Z-4A109-D and the 1L2W-4B416-AA seal come back with the Nat'l 100537 seal as their replacement.

In either case, we'll find out in a couple of weeks when I get the seals in. I ordered them along with some other parts I needed for my '87 BII, so for $10, if they work, great. If not, I'll give them to a friend of mine w/ a '09 'stang as a backup. In the meantime, I'm using the old seal to hold the juice in until the replacement comes in.

I called the local stealership (in Panama), gave them the part number and they want $100.22 ea. after taxes! Insane! :mad:

Thanks for the info and the part number. I sure as heck hope the Nat'l part works.

yeah you have to be careful I actually talked to ford racing about the seals they sold for the mustangs, in there IRS kits, I order a seal kit from summit racing for a mustang, ( ford racing told me they would work) and the box said it was for the 8.8 IRS and when I received the seals they weren`t even close to fitting, they would fit the CV shaft but the OD of the seal was a lot smaller on the mustang, I was in a bit of hurry to get my seals too and I made the mistake of ordering the mustang seals.

just realized I did the same thing from summit even after checking like you did with ford racing...got two 100537s from advanced auto earlier today.

Back