Rear diff capacity

lonestar

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
lou,ky
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 XLT, 02 XLS
Finally, change my rear diff fluid do to axle seals. Bought used, 150K, who knows when it was changed if ever.

WHAT A MESS. Changing the seals was a cinch (the pinion bolt didn't even break, bought a spare just incase), but filling the diff, WOW. Who the hell engineered a filler above the drive shaft and 3 inches from the gas tank. :mad: Thought I would simply put a hose on the end of the bottle and squeeze it in, until I shot the tube off the end of the bottle. Why couldn't they make the bottle with a hose barb. So off to Autozone at midnight to buy a funnel with a hose, seemed reasonable, right. So started to pour gear oil into the funnel and realized the thick viscosity when it began to overflow. :mad: Then began to pour slower and after about 3.5 quarts it began to pour from the filler hole. :mad: There has to be and easier way!
That is why I am asking about capacity. How much fluid does the rear diff hold. The Haynes manual states 5.4 pints (roughly 5 quarts). I figured I had atleast another quart before I would worry about it being full and running out all over everything. But the Haynes manual also states 28-38 ft-lbs for the cover that many don't seem to agree with, especially for the plastic covers. Fortunatly mine didn't crack at 30 ft-lbs.

So some of you out there with experience, how much oil does the rear diff actually hold?
Does anyone know of a replacement cover that has a filler hole, to place the filler hole in the rear where there is alot of room to pour.

There are 2 pints to a quart. It holds 5.5 pints fill to a 1/4 to 9/16 inch below the bottom of the fill hole.

Duh, where was I..

Somehow when I bought the oil I got confused with liters.

Oh, well, I have some extra oil and a BIG mess.

Back