synthetic lubricant and will not
require a lubricant change during
the life of the vehicle unless the
rear axle has been submerged in
water. In addition, rear axle
lubricant quantities need not be
checked or changed unless a leak
is suspected or repair is needed."

Is it true that the fluid will NEVER need to be changed? Maybe they don't expect these trucks to last very long? I was just about to change the fluid and it is kind of expensive at $18 a quart. If I don't need to, I guess I don't need to.

I was also under the impression that only the limited slip diff's were filled with synthetic fluid, which I do not have. Mine is a reg diff with 3.50 gears.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well, that depends on whos definition of "lifetime" you want to achieve.
I would change it, and use the synthetic. Its an all around better lubricant, period.
$54 is cheap compared to the cost of having to have work done in your rear differential.

In the manual, the conventional diff's call for 80w90 and the limited slip ones are 75w-140. I thought they were all the 140 but I just looked. I remember the other day, advance auto only carried conventional and synthetic blend 80w90. I guess the synthetic blend will be fine.

I had a quick diff question since I'm doing this job soon (as it stops raining). I'm going to pull the cover too since the seal looks damp in a few spots.

Anyway, I'd like to clean the gears up real nice and was thinking of spraying the inside carrier/gears down with brake cleaner to remove as much as the old grim as possible. Anyone read or see anything saying you shouldnt clean the gears?

Thanks

As far as the wieght and type of oil debate, I was told by the dealer that no matter limited slip or not use 75W-140 full synthetic. Now I know most of you are saying yeah but the dealer likes your money, but I trust this dealer especially since they told me to put conventional 80W-90 in the front... Now I'm going against that advise and going to put 75W-90 Amsoil in the front but I am putting 75W-140 full synthetic Motorcraft in the rear. Everyone has their own opinion though..

and the lifetime question.. I wouldn't.

I had a quick diff question since I'm doing this job soon (as it stops raining). I'm going to pull the cover too since the seal looks damp in a few spots.

Anyway, I'd like to clean the gears up real nice and was thinking of spraying the inside carrier/gears down with brake cleaner to remove as much as the old grim as possible. Anyone read or see anything saying you shouldnt clean the gears?

Thanks

I did this lightly as to remove most of the dark looking crud but be warned, oil it back down right away cause rust starts to form quickly... I'm not sure if its recomended or not..

Back