Rear differential leak-2005 Explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rear differential leak-2005 Explorer

crfuller1958

Reaction score
City, State
Lakeville, Minnesota
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Explorer XLT
I have a 2005 Explorer XLT with the Advance Trac. I'm getting a leak/drip from my rear differential. I don't know squat about these Explorers, but I'm guessing it's a seal leak? My question is: What is the leak most likely from? What is involved and how hard of a job and expense would it be? Is it possible it's just a loose bolt? Thanks in advance for any help and info.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

if the differential is leaking itself, its either a seal leak or diff cover leak.

if its a seal leak probably the pinion seal which requires a few tools to remove the driveshaft and yoke, and you'll need some means to get the old seal out and a way to drive the new one in.

if its a diff cover you just need to remove all the bolts, pull the cover off, clean off the silicione/sealant, apply new silicone and reinstall.
its up to you if you want to reuse the old gear lube, but probably a good idea to just replace it all even though its somewhat pricey.

Have you crawled underneath and looked at it?

could possibly be just the vent draining off the excess.

Thanks for the reply. I haven't been able to get under it yet due to my schedule. Just noticed the leak last night. Can you give me any more info? Vent? Excess? Why would there be excess fluid all of a sudden? Where is this vent?

It might also be the side seals, sometime after '02 they switched from a two piece seal to a one piece. The earlier version was prone to leak. I thought there was a TSB somewhere on it. . you have to determine where its coming from sides/top/back/bottom.
Sides - Half shaft seals
top - vent
back - the cover seal
bottom front - pinion seal.

Got a chance to get under my Explorer. The leak is coming from the bottom of the differential. Right under the center bottom bolt. Slight, but steady drip. The sides of the differential are completely dry. To me, it looks like just the seal on the inside of the differential cover possibly needs to be redone.

Brought it in to my local trusted shop. It was the rear pinion seal. Replaced it and the gear lube...with labor it was a little under $200. Nice and dry now and no issues. Thanks for the help.

Back