Rear door interior handle issues? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rear door interior handle issues?

Since I bought my Mounty, I have had an ongoing problem with my rear doors. My interior handles do not work, when I bought it the handles were stripped out. I bought new handles, they didn't work either and quickly stripped out too with little to no use.

It's not really that big of a problem for me, I rarely have passengers ride in the rear, but when I do, it's embarrassing to have to get out and open the doors.

My next step is to replace all of the "guts" in the doors- the latches, rods and handles. We shall see what that does for the problem.

I guess my main question is does anyone else have a similar problem? If so what have you done about it?

I assume the plastic tab that pulls the metal rod is breaking? I'd lube everything in there to see if I could get minimal pull needed on the rod. I had to replace several in my first Ex. I did a full lube of everything in the door, and after that those handles outlasted the third trans. If the latches are rusty or gummy with old lube or grime cleaning those should help.

What has stripped out on my handles has been where the handle meshes with the part that has the tab on it- the plastic teeth break and strip. I took out my latches, lubed them, "adjusted" the rods, tried everything. Still strip out first few pulls.

Back