rear driver side power window motor replacement | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

rear driver side power window motor replacement

jrfowler1

Reaction score
City, State
New Orleans, LA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Eddie Bauer
Hello. Since my 2006 Eddie Bauer didn't come with an instruction manual, I have no idea if my power windows are hooked up to the fuses or not. My rear driver's side window does not roll down. I found some posts on how to take off the door, but I haven't found any on replacing the motor if needed. Does anyone know if this is a motor problem or a fuse problem? All my other power windows work fine.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If it were my vehicle, I would probably take off the door panel and investigate. See if the motor is getting power. I suggest getting a Haynes manual. I refer to mine all the time. They're less than $20.

Just hold the window switch down and close the door at the same time a couple of times, the motor will usually work again and if you keep using it often the problem will be gone.

There are problems with the windows. I had to have the motor on that window replaced twice. Once fixed try and grease the track too.

I had a similar problem with my rear driver side window.

1) Took the door panel off and removed the foam covering.

2) Tested the electrical connection to the motor. Got + and - 12 V when pressing switch up and down.

3) Removed the motor. Got continuity across the leads. Hooked the motor back up to power, and it spun strongly in both directions when activated.

4) Reached in and moved the window up and down manually to make sure it wasn't frozen or off the track. Window moved freely.

5) Said "screw it", reinstalled everything to see if it worked. Window started to work again just fine. It's been working fine for about 3 months now.

:dunno:

ETA: Once the door panel is off, removing the motor assembly is very straight forward. Carefully remove the foam lining from the forward part of the door. Unplug the electrical connection from the motor. Test to see if you get (+) and (-) 12 VDC across this cable when the switch is in the up and down position to ensure the motor is getting power.

The motor assembly is held on by (3 I think) screws that are easily accessible once you remove the foam lining. These screws connect to what I would call the black plastic "gear box" on the lower part of the motor assembly. The screws are parallel to the deck and perpendicular to the drivetrain (basically point out toward the side of the vehicle). The silver motor winding is held onto this gear box by four small silver screws; don't mess with these. The screws holding the motor assembly onto the door also hold the cable winding that is attached to the window to move it up and down (this black plastic spindle assembly is sandwiched between the inside metal of the door and the black motor assembly.) Be careful removing these screws and the motor, because this black plastic cable assembly seems like it could come apart easily, and your cable can get unspooled.

Now you have the motor out, hook it back up to see if it works o.k. You can also reach in and move the window up and down, ensuring it moves pretty easily, and also carefully ensuring the cable assembly rotates clockwise and counter clockwise freely.

I had my left rear window stuck, so I hit the inside door panel while holding the window button down and it freed it up. It's something you could try, but it may be something else.

Try the door slam tip first!

Both of my rear windows on my 06 E.B. are notorious for sticking shut. But recently, the "hold the button and slam the door" tip worked great! It took about 5 or 6 tries but walla! I immediately greased the channels with a teflon chain lube and roll the windows up/down every few days.

Thanks for the very cost effective tip SWETRID. :)

Faulty Power Windows

Had the same problem. Ford replaced the motor on the rear drivers side (whilie it was under warranty) and told me that if you don't regularly open and close the windows, the motors creat a dead spot (corroded contact) and won't work. Lately I've noticed that if I mess with the Drivers side controls, (including the window lock button), the windows would work again. Just something else to check.

Well, I'm having problems with the same window again. This time, the whole window fell into the door this morning. i rolled it down to get some dew off the window and rolled it back up. when it went all the way back up, i heard something crack (like a plastic crack, not a glass crack). I dropped it down again, and it went halfway down. The motor still works because I can hear it trying to roll up and down. Now, the whole window fell into the door.

I'm assuming it just fell off the track. I had a similar problem when i had an old honda accord, and i had to get new clips to put on the bottom of the window. does anyone know if ford has similar clips, or do i have to replace the assembly again? I plan on taking the door apart this evening to see what happened.

you need one of these probably. they are notorious on the F150. The cables break off at the plastic and the window falls inside the door. Buddy taped the window up on his truck and we started calling it the Rez Wagon. Classy looking rig.
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/New-Ford-Explorer-Rear-Right-Passenger-Side-Power-Window-Regulator-With-Motor-RH-/390568421170?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item5aefb12732&vxp=mtr

That's what i figured. of course, i need the one for the rear driver's side that is $50 more... i found one on amazon for $80 that i can get overnighted for $4 instead of shelling out $144 at autozone. i'm going to take the door apart and tape this window up for overnight instead of garbage bagging it.

Back