Rear glass hinges, any permanent fix? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rear glass hinges, any permanent fix?

Impact9

Reaction score
City, State
Wichita, KS
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 XLT AWD
The right rear glass hinge stripped out and I could no longer keep the glass side of the hinge secure so I drilled the hole slightly larger and threaded it to 1/4"x20 then the door side stripped and I repeated it again on that side. Now the left side is getting bad and I'll be doing that side as well. I never use the lift glass so I'm thinking about ditching the hinges and just welding up some brackets to hold the glass solidly in place.

Before I reinvent the wheel has anyone done this yet?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

No but I wouldn't blame you. I never use the lift glass alone and would just as soon have it permanent if it came that way.

However you might see if you can get the stripped portion to stay together with epoxy. It might need clamped somehow until it fully sets, or of course scavenge salvage yards for replacements.. and even then, a little epoxy might help. Granted I don't speak from experience, since I don't ever use mine that might have decreased the wear on it??

I don't use my rear window either. I find as long as you put a bit of blue Lock-tite on the screws/nuts they stay tight w/out needing retightening/over-tighten. Look for some good used one on eBay. they usually go for around $30. I guess you could make some replacements out of strap, but they'd look like crap.

292592.jpg

Red lock tite. Stupid things loosen themselves.

I picked up some red locktite and put on the one that was semi-stripped. It's holding for now but I'm not entirely confident it's going to hold. I'll have to get some fuel for my torch and make some brackets. It might be a while, got other issues at hand with the truck before I get to that.

I drilled through mine and used #10 machine screws with nylon lock nuts. Doesn't look that bad. It has secured it tightly for the last 4 years.

I thought about drilling through but all I had on hand for tools was 1/4" hardware and it was pretty close to the stripped out hole size.

Back