Rear Hatch Help | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rear Hatch Help

I've changed my hatch from a 97 to a 99 and I've got a major problem...

There's a massive gap, and it won't line up.

I've used the 99 hinges, 99 struts and the hatch, but it won't sit straight, as a result I've managed to bend all the top of the lid...

does anyone have any ideas how I can sort this out? I've even tried changing to the 97 hinges and this makes no difference at all...

Si

Attachments

• 01042007(001).jpg
    01042007(001).jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 555

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

the bolts that go into the hatch control the up and down that seem to be giving you the issue
Removing the struts make the adjustments easier. I some times also remove the latches.

Good luck and let me know if you need any further help.

it's booked into fords tomorrow for them to have a bash... it's annoying me

Attached are before and after shots

Si

Attachments

• 16012007.jpg
    16012007.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 403
  • 01042007.jpg
    01042007.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 447

yikes
good luck with that....

I've found out why it doesn't fit!!! it's cos I bent the hinge mounts on the underside of the door when I first opened it and it foulded..

So I've got to get a new door

Si

I recall having a hard time refitting my 93 hatch, after removing it to change left quarter panel. There is very very little adjustment, I had to hammer the top edge downward(bent it to set flush), and fill the ripples, etc.

Sorry to hear of the bent hatch, are you sure that it cannot be bent back inward, the mounting structure is very strong. I'd bet that a good body man could make it fit. I know how heavy the hatch is, that was the hard part. I had to test fit my hatch many times until I was happy with it. Good luck,

did you try bending it inward? any success?

i had a strut break off on my 97 and it then bent the hatch on the opposite side where the hinge attaches. I now have to push my hatch to the left to even get it to close and apply pressure to latch it. i could deal with that but since the top is bent it added a larger than normal gap between the hatch and the body which now doesnt seal the top.

it hasnt rained yet luckily but i cant decide how to fix it. should i get a new door or is there a way to push the dent in? i will post pics soon.

Back