rear hatch repair | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

rear hatch repair

wckeener

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 explorer
I have a 2000 ford explorer, with a broken part on the rear hatch door handle. I can see something yellow that is broken on the Inside of door on backside of handle. I have been looking for diagram to see what parts I need or can get to repair it. Any ideas or assistance would be helpful! Thanks cody

I have a 2000 ford explorer, with a broken part on the rear hatch door handle. I can see something yellow that is broken on the Inside of door on backside of handle. I have been looking for diagram to see what parts I need or can get to repair it. Any ideas or assistance would be helpful! Thanks cody

the yellow thing you see is the clip that connects the handle to the latch rod. I think I have the part number for it somewhere. it was something like $3 from Ford.

what happens is that the latch parts loose lubrication, then the extra stress of pulling the handle pulls the clip out of the handle. once it's pulled out you need to replace it.

to get at it you need to remove the interior panel and peel back the plastic weather shield. the clip is attached to a metal rod and it has to be opened to remove it. take note of where the clip was on the rod.

before reassembling everything, be sure to lube all the pivot points and latches to avoid having the clip pull out again.

if you need to know how to remove the interior panel - just ask.

Back