• Register Today It's free!

Rear Hatch Handle Rod Clip

gschramm

Reaction score
City, State
New Mexico
Year, Model & Trim Level
00 Mountaineer
2000 Mountaineer. Back hatch handle would not open back hatch. Pulled hatch panel off from the inside to open hatch and look for problem. Yellow plastic clip that attaches handle (pushes into handle that opens back hatch) to short threaded rod that attached to mechanism that opens hatch is broken. Found Dorman "Door Lock Rod Clips" assortment pack (#75473) with similar clip although it appears that the clip does not fit the same diameter threaded rod that is in the vehicle. I can't find a good reference to get the part number to order the correct clip on online. Anyone have a good part number for this clip or another idea for repair??

Thanks!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Mine did that 3 yrs after I had it. First I used tie wraps to make a link which would work for awhile but didn't last. I finally used some small wire and wired it together It's been working for 4 yrs now.

The rear window wiper quit about the same time and has not worked since.

2000XLT 5.0 189kmi

Has anyone had luck finding a replacement clip for this? I have A 01 Explorer Sport, & that Dorman "Door Lock Rod Clips" assortment pack (#75473) doesn't have the correct one. I see lots available that fit 5/32" threaded rod, but that size is way too small. Again, this clip that fits into the tailgate handle seems to be a different size than the rest! Oy.

Has anyone had luck finding a replacement clip for this? I have A 01 Explorer Sport, & that Dorman "Door Lock Rod Clips" assortment pack (#75473) doesn't have the correct one. I see lots available that fit 5/32" threaded rod, but that size is way too small. Again, this clip that fits into the tailgate handle seems to be a different size than the rest! Oy.

It was a few years ago, but I got a replacement clip from my Ford dealer. Ford apparently continued using this clip on newer models, so they had it in stock. It cost me under $3. The clip breaks because the hatch linkage and latches don't get lubricated and that put's strain on the weakest link (the clip).

The rear window wiper quit about the same time and has not worked since.

Rear wiper motor problems? I installed three rebuilt units, but each rebuilt motor either did work or failed within six months. Junk!!! .......

Than got a salvage yard motor that is still working.

Good luck.

It was a few years ago, but I got a replacement clip from my Ford dealer. Ford apparently continued using this clip on newer models, so they had it in stock. It cost me under $3. The clip breaks because the hatch linkage and latches don't get lubricated and that put's strain on the weakest link (the clip).

Picked it up at the dealership, now they cost $5 lol. thanks koda2000!

Oh wow! I spent hours making a replacement for that yellow clip! It was kind of fun doing it, but for $5, I can sacrifice some fun! Anyway, this video will at least show you how to replace the new part if you get one.

Back