• Register Today It's free!

Rear in and out toe bars

Teamhhs

Reaction score
City, State
Dover delaware
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 ford explorer 2wd
Anyone else have an issue changing out the rear toe bars?
2003 explorer 2wd
Changed them out and starting hearing a grinding noise from rear passenger side. When vehicle is in reverse something is catching! Looks like the end on the inside of the rim may be touching!?
Also noticed my steering wheel is no longer centered and is ****ed to the left!
I know it will need a wheel alignment but its not in the budget til next week! Front drivers side tire is turned outward while passenger side looks straight.
Will put it on the jack tonight and pull the tire. Both ball joint ends were completely shot!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Same thing happened on my 03 XLT 4x4! The end actually bashed a hole through the rim and ruined it! What I did was simply beat on the end that goes through the joint to get it in as tight as possible and then bolted the bolt on. Mind you the end will be close to the rim but it should not touch. You'll have maybe a half inch of room.

My alignment was so far off after I changed mine that the rear tires got stuck in the bay at the alignment center. My rear end was like a super loose race car going down the road. The rear wanted to go first!!

Same thing happened on my 03 XLT 4x4! The end actually bashed a hole through the rim and ruined it! What I did was simply beat on the end that goes through the joint to get it in as tight as possible and then bolted the bolt on. Mind you the end will be close to the rim but it should not touch. You'll have maybe a half inch of room.

My alignment was so far off after I changed mine that the rear tires got stuck in the bay at the alignment center. My rear end was like a super loose race car going down the road. The rear wanted to go first!!
That was the issue!
Had to use a BFH to get it to seat all the way! But its fixed!

I had a rather interesting experience with mine. If you have 16" rims you MUST get the ones WITHOUT zerk fittings! The fitting will definitely contact the inside of the rims. Other than that it's just important to get them fully seated and parallel to the rims so that they're not ****eyed. After test driving after the passenger side replacement my wheel was too ****ed to the left and had to stay there to drive straight, very odd considering it's in the rear and shouldn't have affected steering wheel position at all, but I suppose alignment can cause funny things to happen. After the driver side was done, wheel was straight again but alignment was off, got it as close as I could and got it done professionally on a computer the following day. Definitely need one after this job

Back