Rear lift window strut brackets

Adrenolin

Reaction score
City, State
Delaware
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Explorer Sport XLT
Hello folks,

Just got back from a vacation up in Canada with the family. The wife was opening the rear lift window and as it fully opened both hinges broke! Luckily she still had her hand on it was able to catch it before it came down on her head. Unfortunately when it came down one of the gas strut brackets tore off the window as well. Its intact, unbent but tore off the black glue which secures it to the glass.

Called around and in Canada the hinges are a $70 PER HINGE dealer item only! None of the local (within 100 miles) junkyards had any either so some clear plastic went on the rear and the glass was placed in the back of the truck.

Home in Delaware now and I'd like to get it all back together. Order a replacement Ford 2L2Z-78420A68-AA Hinge Kit online the other day for $55 bucks (and friends ask why I don't move back to Halifax, Nova Scotia) and it arrived yesterday.

Questions:
  1. How can I remove the strut bracket that's remains on the glass? Most of the black paint on the brackets have flaked off and some corrosion has set in on both. I'd like clean up and powder coat them black before putting them back on.
  2. Next question would be how to clean off the black 'glue' off the glass that remains? Its as hard as the glass itself is and I don't wish to break the glass.
  3. Finally, what type of glue would I use to secure the brackets back onto the glass once cleaned up and powder coated?

Thanks for any help on this. I'd prefer to do this myself then take it into a glass shop.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

May be the subject of a recall, if so, you may not have needed to spend a dime. Good luck.

NHTSA Campaign ID #

04V442000

Recall Date

2004-09-15

Summary

ON CERTAIN SPORT UTILITY VEHICLES, THE LIFTGATE GLASS STRUT MAY BECOME DISENGAGED OR THE HINGE MAY FRACTURE ALLOWING THE GLASS TO FALL AND POSSIBLY BREAK.

Consequences

IF THE HINGE SHOULD FRACTURE, THERE IS A POTENTIAL FOR THE GLASS TO FALL AND ULTIMATELY BREAK AND PERSONAL INJURIES COULD OCCUR.

Remedy

DEALERS WILL HAVE THE LIFTGATE GLASS STRUT BRACKETS AND GLASS HINGES REPLACED. FOR THE VEHICLES BUILT FROM AUGUST 1, 2000 THROUGH MARCH 3, 2002, THE DEALERS WILL REPLACE THE HINGES AND LIFTGATE STRUT BRACKET. ON VEHICLES BUILT FROM MARCH 3, 2002 THROUGH JUNE 23, 2003, THE DEALERS WILL ONLY REPLACE THE HINGES. THE RECALL BEGAN ON SEPTEMBER 30, 2004. A POSTCARD WAS SENT TO OWNERS ON DECEMBER 27, 2004, ADVISING THEM THAT PARTS ARE NOW AVAILABLE. OWNERS SHOULD CONTACT FORD AT 1-800-392-3673.

Component Affected

STRUCTURE:BODY:HATCHBACK/LIFTGATE:HINGE AND ATTACHMENTS

Notes

Ford Motor Company

Really? wow, I would return the hinges and get a dealer to fix a problem Ford knows exists, or bring the hinges to them and set them to it.
When I had a similar recall the dealer actually replaced my whole back hatch and painted to match because it was "easier" than repairing. Didn't make a lot of sense at the time, but why would I complain.

Loctite makes a glass glue that seems to be highly regarded, but I cant say that I have a lot of experience with gluing glass. It might be difficult to dis-bond whatever Glue Ford used. I would expect Acetone (Nail polish remover) would break down the glue, but the problem is getting it between two things that are bonded, might be possible but time consuming?
-cheers

I had the rear window explode a few years ago while it was parked out in the woods while winter camping at -35. I had hiked back to the truck from the campsite for something, hit the key fob button to unlock it and the rear glass exploded. BTW.. if you haven't heard car glass break like this on a very still cold day in the woods it sounds like a 12g shotgun being fired off in front of you! The guy I was with came running out several minutes later thinking that's what happened. :) Myself, I stood there for a minute of two in shock followed by heading back to camp, sitting by the fire and pouring a drink ;)

I'm not sure if Ford will honor the recall once they see a replacement window. I was visiting Canada while it happened and took it to a glass shop to get fixed. I didn't know about a recall as none come up when I search by VIN. I'll give the local dealer a call tomorrow and see what they say.

The Loctite glass glue would be OK for a rear view mirror or other fixed part but with the added stress of brackets with gas struts I doubt it would hold. The dealer and glass shop material is quite thick like a window sealant and gets rock hard. I'd say there is close to 1/8" of this material between the glass and bracket. Thanks for the suggestion though. :)

If I knew what to buy I'd simply order it and do it myself. I'd rather garage time then sitting in a dealer waiting room any day of the week! Below are two of my older cars I've done.. our 67/68 Mustang Shelby (not quite completed in this pic from a few years ago) and our 72 AMC Ambassador 2-Door SST beside it. Only photo I have of both together. The stang was a 2 year ground up project and what I call a 2010 classic. The AMC had a light restoration about 10 years ago and figure I'll tear it down in a few years for as a complete project.

1909571_139838929365_3418687_n.jpg

I always try to do my own work too, but whenever I can stick it to a dealership for some obscure recall, I am all over it.

Awesome stang! always wanted a classic mustang, but got into off-roading, and never got there. Had an 82 (I think)GT and an 88 convertible LX over the years, pretty loyal Ford guy here.

Lol, I accidentally exploded a window glass once whilst trying to repair a window mechanism, yes, they sure are surprisingly loud.

Looks like you have the mechanical know-how to fix that glass anyway, good luck there.

I'll call the dealership on Mon/Tue and see if they will fix it per the recall. If not I'll install the glass with the new hinges. Since no one here seems to know whats used by the dealer or glass shops to secure the brackets to the glass I'll simply pop in an Auto Glass shop and ask later this week if needed.

Busy week so got around to calling the local Ford dealership.. Willis Ford of Smyrna, DE who looked up my VIN which showed no recalls. I supplied them with the FORD Recall number, 04S20, and was told that it was only for vehicles from certain plants and mine wasn't one.

So.. Now I'm back to doing it myself. I have no issues with this and can install the new hinges easily however I still have no idea what to use to glue the brackets to the glass. Guess I'll have to take it to a local glass shop afterwards and pay them to do it.

Oh and I was gunna say..

Only certain plants screwed those hinges up eh? I guess you feel lucky to have an Explorer built in a plant that knew how to build their hatch windows properly.
:scratch:

Yeah I was a bit put off they said gave the BS excuse but oh well. I still have the plastic on and window sitting in my home office as it hasn't moved from the driveway. Too much fun driving the 72 Ambassador around for the last few weeks. :) Need to get it done soon while we still have some warm weather left.

btw, just noticed you're in BC. :thumbsup: My favorite province.. after NS of course. ;) I used to live in Prince George, Port Coquitlam & Burnaby back in the early 90s and did a lot of road cycling throughout the entire province. Loved the little park in Hope (Rambo: First Blood) right on the Frazer River and stayed there many times. Telte-Yet camp iirc. I was in PG right when they were finishing up the university and the first year students were coming in.. '95 I think.

Fun times!

Hey that's cool, small world. I grew up in Port Coquitlam /Port Moody area for the most part. Live in Hope now, Telte Yet sounds right... Rambo Bridge got torn down a couple years ago...

Has anyone found what kind of glue the dealership uses? I had the recall work done several years ago, but the glue has since come undone. Its my guess that I'm well outside of the timeline for having the dealership redo it. Fortunately for me, the glue is stuck to the bracket rather than the glass, so mechanical means of removal are far less risky.

Thanks!

Yeah I was a bit put off they said gave the BS excuse but oh well. I still have the plastic on and window sitting in my home office as it hasn't moved from the driveway. Too much fun driving the 72 Ambassador around for the last few weeks. :) Need to get it done soon while we still have some warm weather left.

btw, just noticed you're in BC. :thumbsup: My favorite province.. after NS of course. ;) I used to live in Prince George, Port Coquitlam & Burnaby back in the early 90s and did a lot of road cycling throughout the entire province. Loved the little park in Hope (Rambo: First Blood) right on the Frazer River and stayed there many times. Telte-Yet camp iirc. I was in PG right when they were finishing up the university and the first year students were coming in.. '95 I think.

Fun times!
In that case I would check that back here:
and here:

And if the website says it's a recall, then I would go to another dealer or back to the same one and argue with them a little more over the issue.

Back