rear panel cracked ... what alternative options do i have? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

rear panel cracked ... what alternative options do i have?

armysoldier30263

Reaction score
City, State
Shaw AFB, SC
Year, Model & Trim Level
05 BLACK 4.0 XLT
I remember seeing someone take the panel and adhesive all the way off and left it that way and was trying to search for the pictures of it. Also looking for what other people did rather than just replacing the panel.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

bondo it...lol

im waiting for an answer on this too. Mines is half gone :popcorn:

The picture I saw of that X just looked black. It's my understanding it is just the glass exposed,could be wrong,sure would not be the first time.
I believe you can replace the panel,sorta expensive,and use a better adhesive that will expand and contract with temp changes. That's what causes the infamous crack.

The panel unpainted from Ford is around $175 retail and it is just glued on with window adhesive. Most windshield companies could replace it for you.

ive searched for that pic of the black x missing the whole panel ... i wanted to see it again and maybe put a total black vinyl sticker over the spot ... but i wonder if it will look right ... and another reason im looking for pics is im deployed right now and havent seen it in person to assess it ... just looking for options for when i get home

You could replace it with a piece of nice hardwood and polish it up and turn your ex into a 'woody wagon'

Really?!? Haha i think ill pass

I remember seeing someone take the panel and adhesive all the way off and left it that way and was trying to search for the pictures of it.

That was Not8taxi.

Fiberglass maybe? Then apply with liquid nail or sealant?
I think this might be my next little project.

You can make a fiberglass mold out of the panel you have now, and add lettering...I think "EXPLORER" or "FORD" will be nice. I edited a pic of how it would look like. My idea would have the letters sunk in and the panel be painted same color as truck. The actual truck pic is not mine, i just edited....but i do have the same color. Also deleted the emblem.

Font = MS Reference Sans Serif

IMG_0469.jpg

Mine cracked too and I was SO not happy about it. I think I may try just taking it off. Ford quoted us $168 and that was before any painting, I am not sure if they were going to paint it at the price as well. But why, if it would probably crack again? It makes me mad every time I see it. Glad I found this today :)

I ended up instead of using urethane or windshield adhesive using TA 30 which had a higher elongation %. I have also used Loctite Instant Gasket as it has a 300℅ elongation spec. I am hoping the instant gasket acts as a shear layer or uncoupler with thermal expansion assuming that is what is causing failure thereby allowing the plastic and glass to expand and contract more independently.

I know some people have used VHB tape by 3M as an uncoupler and many trailer manufacturers use to combat dissimilar metal corrosion (Al skin on steel structure) and thermal expansion asymmetry. There was also a building that used VHB tape to secure glass windows to the structure in a hot climate. But I have had my fair share of vhb failures and cannot guarantee suitability of the tape or silicone of course. Just more options

There was a recall by Ford on the panel check with your dealership it may be covered

There wasnt a recall. There was a tsb that's all.

Back