rear parking brake and axle shaft question | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

rear parking brake and axle shaft question

thrlofthehunt

Reaction score
City, State
Waverly, Minnnesota
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 sport
I have a 96 Explorer 2 door 4x4

I recently replaced my rear disk brake pads, and when I had the calipers off I tried removing the inside drum for the parking brakes to see why my parking brakes were not working.

Both sides were stuck on and I tried beating them with a mallet and using penetrating oil but neither side would move. My parking brake pedal and cable works, but the brakes do nothing to slow the vehicle. My Explorer is a Manual tranny so a parking brake comes in handy.

Any tricks to remove the stuck parking brake Drum.

I also noticed one wheel stud is slightly stripped out, do you need to remove the axle shaft to pound out the stripped stud, and would that make working on the parking brake easier.

Is there just a clip in the diff holding the axle shaft in, or is there a spring clamp like my old Bronco had, I hope not.

thanks for any ideas or info you might have

you should be able to remove the studs if you remove the metal dust shield as far as the rotors go, are there screw holes on them so u can push them out?? If not you need to get the mallet out, if that doesnt help take out the sledge and a wood block. I had the same problem on the fronts because they rusted onto the hubs and it took me nearly half an hour to get each one off.

when trying to remove the parking brake drum/rotor assembly you will need lots of wd-40/liquid wrench....what helped me alot was to take a razor knife and score the rust built up around the axel shaft where it meets the drum/rotor....i did that then soaked it with wd40 and after some long prybar prying it finally let loose.you can change the stud without removing the axel but be carefull not to pound on it too hard .you could break something in the yoke.i replaced mine myself.i put some small blocks of wood behind the rotor to keep the hitting force down on the axel shaft.good luck

if u need a rust penetrator use pb blaster (autozone has it, so does napa around here) it's MUCH better than wd-40. trust me on this, i used to be amazed by wd 40 but when i was replacing the engine in my ex and i got to the stubborn exhaust bolts it was a night and day difference. with pb blaster they came out like someone had just put them in a few min ago. good luck.

Back