Rear Suspension Toe Link Recall | Page 9 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rear Suspension Toe Link Recall

No, both the inner toe link welds and now the knuckle BJs have been identified as failure points at different times and made different recalls. fordtecmakeuloco had a YouTube video explaining the toe link recall quite well. The round metal tube surrounding the rubber bushing on the inside of the lateral arm was welded to the adjusable rod portion very poorly. The new ones look very different and almost look cast as an integrated part (rod and tube).
Yes, the new ones (the toe links) are no longer welded but are now cast as one piece.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The plot thickens. I had already taken mine in for the 20S62 recall, at which point it was only inspected and "passed" plus "replaced nuts/bolts".

Yesterday I got a new letter for same toe link BJ issue, now recall # 21S32 aka NHTSA 21V537.

Summary of letter is, they want it brought back in for another inspection ASAP, but don't have the parts, so once they have parts they'll send a 3rd letter to bring it back to the shop a 3rd time. Gotta Luv Efficiency!

21S32.png

I called my Ford dealer about recall 21S32 and he said he had no direction from Ford and would not schedule an inspection. I don't want to drive around with a possible
defect. Any suggestions?

I called my Ford dealer about recall 21S32 and he said he had no direction from Ford and would not schedule an inspection. I don't want to drive around with a possible
defect. Any suggestions?
I take it that this isn't for your 2004 Mountaineer that shows in your profile.

Peter

I take it that this isn't for your 2004 Mountaineer that shows in your profile.

Peter
Peter, this is for my 2014 Explorer. The build date is 9-23-2013. I will update my profile.

Peter, this is for my 2014 Explorer. The build date is 9-23-2013. I will update my profile.
Thank you. Did you receive the Recall letter? Also, it may help if you print out the recall notification identified in my post #163.
Good luck. If all else fails, check with another dealership if that is possible.

Peter

Thank you. Did you receive the Recall letter? Also, it may help if you print out the recall notification identified in my post #163.
Good luck. If all else fails, check with another dealership if that is possible.

Peter
Peter,

Thanks for the information. I did receive the letter from Ford. I will print out post #163. I was wondering if there was someone to call to see if the local dealer was informed and they are just putting me off.

Dennis

Peter,

Thanks for the information. I did receive the letter from Ford. I will print out post #163. I was wondering if there was someone to call to see if the local dealer was informed and they are just putting me off.

Dennis
The letter is all you should need as it contains instructions to the dealer. "Dealers will inspect the cross-axis ball joint, replace the cross-axis ball joint/knuckle as necessary, and replace the toe links with a revised design part. The Ford reference number for this recall is 21S32."
That is the direction from Ford to the dealer.

Peter

Here's the Spring 2022 letter I received, states parts now available and once the repair is completed, it also completes all prior Toe Link Field Service actions (16S18, 17S11, 18S43, 19S17, and 20S62).

21V537_Letter.png

Had this campaign completed on my 2016 earlier this month while I was getting other maintenance work done at my dealership, it only took an extra hour for the toe link recall fix and re-alignment.

Back