Rear Suspension Toe Link Recall | Page 7 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rear Suspension Toe Link Recall

It was a Recall. See post #95 where it mentions an alignment if necessary. Here is the initial recall but it does not mention an alignment. Combined Recalls for 2011+ Explorer models
When I had mine done, the dealer did a 4 wheel alignment at no charge.

Peter

I guess I need to understand what the “alignment if necessary” means in detail. Do they eyeball it? The dealership mentioned counting threads of the toe link but that doesn’t mean it could leave in spec.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I guess I need to understand what the “alignment if necessary” means in detail. Do they eyeball it? The dealership mentioned counting threads of the toe link but that doesn’t mean it could leave in spec.
I hope 'eyeballing it' isn't a normal procedure to check if the alignment is out. When I bring my vehicle in for its usual maintenance, they take it into a special bay and install an item on the wheels to check the alignment. No charge for this unless an alignment is required.

Peter

Counting threads? Got to be kidding. That might get you in the ballpark to drive it to an alignment shop, but I would not trust that to be accurate.
I'd ask for a printout of the alignment specs.

I would say that the if necessary means that they will put it on the rack and check the alignment. If it is withing specs then no alignment is needed, if it is out of alignment then a alignment is necessary.

Tire howl after Safety Recall Notice 19S17 work?

I recently took my 2012 Explorer in to have the rear suspension toe links replaced due to Safety Recall Notice 19S17. Since the work was completed, I now have a howling noise in the rear end. I initially suspected a hub bearing, but the noise does not seem to be associated with one side or the other and neither of the rear hubs is warm after highway driving. It seems to be more tire noise than a bearing and I suspected it might have something to do with the rear alignment after the recall work was performed. I called the Ford dealer service area to report the problem and he immediately told me its probably a hub bearing. He told me the recall work had to be completed properly and the alignment done to factory specs in order to get paid from Ford (yada, yada, yada). Has anybody had a similar experience or have thoughts on what might be causing the tire howl? Your help is much appreciated.

Had the recall done before Christmas. Put about 2,000 miles on it since then. Ever since it’s been done, there’s been a lot of road noise from the rear. No heat noticeable in brakes, hubs, or shocks. On my paperwork it says:

r&r rear toe links
Set rear toe

No mention of alignment, no printout of alignment check and adjust. Guess it’s time to get under it and take a look.

I can't be sure but I would take it that "set rear toe" would be the alignment. Is the wear even on the rears?

Peter

I can't be sure but I would take it that "set rear toe" would be the alignment. Is the wear even on the rears?

Peter
It seems to be so far. I've kept the tires rotated regularly, so I suspect it would take a little while for anything to show up unless it's REALLY bad.

the dealer took three full days for this recall. I had expected a day or day and a half at most.

the dealer took three full days for this recall. I had expected a day or day and a half at most.
Are you sure the vehicle was worked on during that time frame? It could have been sitting in the lot waiting for its turn.

Peter

When I took mine in I dropped it off at 8 am and it was done at 1030 am and that included the exhaust gas recall and a full alignment.

I did make a appointment.

I had an 8:00 appointment as well. I scheduled it online (their preferred method), but judging by the number of cars lined up when I got there they don't turn anyone away. I also called ahead to verify that they had the parts available.

I had the toe link and the front seat guide rail recall done at the same time.

even with an appointment it took 45 minutes to an hour to get checked in with the service adviser. I was told that I would get a call around 2 or 3 when it was done. I got a call after 4 saying that they wouldn't be able to finish that day and that it should be done in the morning.

hearing nothing I called in to check mid-afternoon and was told that it would not be ready by the end of the day. the adviser apologized and said that he would have the car detailed inside and out for the delay. he asked if there was anything else he could do for me and I asked for and got a loaner. again he said it should be done mid-day.

the next day I called in mid-afternoon and was told to come in about 4:30. the detailing I would say was a 90% job. a few dirt streaks outside and a few spots missed on the rims. also noticed they didn't vacuum under the mats or cargo deck. at least the windows were clean.

it sounds like the toe link and seat rails were done quickly. the rest of the time was waiting for the access to the alignment rack.

I brought my 2016 Sport in for the recall a couple months ago. I am now experiencing worsening instability in my rear end when braking. It started doing this after the recall and at first it was only at highway speeds. It has now progressed and is unstable when braking at city speeds. It is frankly getting dangerous. Has anyone else experienced this after having the tow links replaced?

I’d say they didn’t tighten the adjustable links and now your alignment is messed up or worse yet they installed them wrong which has been done according to a post here and one may be broken

Thanks! Guess I just need to bring it back to the dealership. I hate doing that now that I am out of warranty, they always seem to be reaching into my wallet...

Took the 2014 into the local dealer yesterday, he completed the recall in about 2 hours, had them check alinement and rear brakes after completion, all went well.
TB

I brought my 2016 Sport in for the recall a couple months ago. I am now experiencing worsening instability in my rear end when braking. It started doing this after the recall and at first it was only at highway speeds. It has now progressed and is unstable when braking at city speeds. It is frankly getting dangerous. Has anyone else experienced this after having the tow links replaced?

The rear ended on ours got loose a few times in some rain/puddles. I thought it was weird but the toe in was pretty bad. Learn from my mistake/cluster and verify they did an alignment. If not, ask them how safe is it Is to replace a vital component specifically to keep/adjust alignment and not check it on an alignment machine? Comes down to some dealerships choosing to be cheap over their customers safety and/or possessions.

Another 375,000 Explorers recalled due to toe link issue.

Peter

thank you Peter! Due to an Workshop fault my control arm broke, because the workshop installed the toe link for the control arm because they had not clue what they are doing.
So maybe I am one of the customers with broken links.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Another 375,000 Explorers recalled due to toe link issue.

Peter
So, I took mine in and had the prior recall checked out before. Not positive what they did, might've replaced, might've not, but I've since re-done every single suspension component in the rear end except the toe links. When I looked at them, they looked like the ones in this video here, the newer ones. What does this mean for me? Will I get the recall notice? Will they not do anything because mine looks like the newer ones? Do we all have to just wait to find out?

Back