Rear Suspension Toe Link Recall | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rear Suspension Toe Link Recall

I'm scheduled for 7/16 at Crossroads Ford in Cary, NC. The advisor said the toe links are on backorder, but they are scheduling people currently.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So, there was the previous rear toe link recalls (I think one for US and one for Canada).
Is this new recall another that applies to even the previous recalled parts?
As in, I had the previous recall done on my '14, does this new recall apply to my Ex and they will replace them again?

Perhaps your dealer can answer that. I believe one thing the new Recall did was to expand the model years. I would have expected to see a statement on the latest recall notice that it supercedes Recalls 16S18 and 17S11 (Canada). I know that it was only as a result of this latest Recall that my dealer informed me of having to get it done.

Peter

Had the new toe links installed today. They did a 4 wheel alignment as well.

Had the new toe links installed today. They did a 4 wheel alignment as well.

Did they automatically do that or did you ask them to do the 4 wheel alignment?

I called my dealer and asked about it. They had two new sets in stock. Three days latter they installed the parts and did a 4wheel alignment along with an oil change. In and out in two hours. I had to pay for the 4wheel alignment. My dealer does free oil changes for ten years or 100k miles. So I figured the cost of 5 oil changes was worth the alignment.

Can we clarify a few things?

Do we know the difference between these parts and the ones done as part of the previous recall (any comparison pics)?

For those getting alignments, are you getting a printout? In other words, even though they are hanging targets on all 4 wheels, are they actually adjusting all 4 wheels or just the rears?

For those paying for alignment as part of a recall, why? The recall specifies alignment is covered.

I got no print out for my four wheel alignment. It just states it was performed in my paperwork. My invoice states "replaced rear links and four wheel aligned as per 19S17".

No alignment printout. Invoice/work order just states 4 wheel alignment....N/C.

Peter

Can we clarify a few things?

Do we know the difference between these parts and the ones done as part of the previous recall (any comparison pics)?

For those getting alignments, are you getting a printout? In other words, even though they are hanging targets on all 4 wheels, are they actually adjusting all 4 wheels or just the rears?

For those paying for alignment as part of a recall, why? The recall specifies alignment is covered.

It states rear wheel alignment not a 4 wheel alignment. I receive a print out and it needed it. I figured it did because I have had it almost two years and have not had it done.

Dealers will remove and replace left and right-hand rear suspension toe links with a new forged toe link and align the rear suspension. The Ford reference number for this recall is 19S17.

Ford is paying .6 hours of labor to check rear alignment. A good service dept would just perform the full alignment since all they have to do is hook up 2 more sensors for the front wheels.

Ford is paying .6 hours of labor to check rear alignment. A good service dept would just perform the full alignment since all they have to do is hook up 2 more sensors for the front wheels.
Can't say I've ever seen a shop just hang rear sensors only on an AWD vehicle with IRS. Rears have to be aligned to the fronts. They would still have to hang all 4 sensors, but would only adjust for rear toe as that is all they are getting paid for.

Anyway, I suppose anything is possible as most dealers and mechanics like to half ass anything they possibly can. It wouldn't surprise me if some mechanics/dealers are just measuring the links they remove, setting the new ones to the same length, and not actually doing the alignment. More money in their pocket that way, plus they turn the vehicle quicker.

My dealer took their sweet time and am wondering if it's because Ford was paying for it. When I told the service adviser I would be waiting, she said it would take 2.5 to 3 hours. I kind of looked at her how. I stayed anyway. You can't see through their windows to the service area except for one little spot. From start to finish including the alignment it was about 1.5 hrs. Then they let it set in the bay for about another hour. The tech sat around in a chair and played catch tossing something up in the air for awhile. I finally got pissed and said I'll take my car now since it's been sitting for an hour finished. She said they're getting it right now haha.

My dealer took their sweet time and am wondering if it's because Ford was paying for it. When I told the service adviser I would be waiting, she said it would take 2.5 to 3 hours. I kind of looked at her how. I stayed anyway. You can't see through their windows to the service area except for one little spot. From start to finish including the alignment it was about 1.5 hrs. Then they let it set in the bay for about another hour. The tech sat around in a chair and played catch tossing something up in the air for awhile. I finally got pissed and said I'll take my car now since it's been sitting for an hour finished. She said they're getting it right now haha.

Ford is only paying 1.2 hours for this repair.

Can't say I've ever seen a shop just hang rear sensors only on an AWD vehicle with IRS. Rears have to be aligned to the fronts. They would still have to hang all 4 sensors, but would only adjust for rear toe as that is all they are getting paid for.

Anyway, I suppose anything is possible as most dealers and mechanics like to half ass anything they possibly can. It wouldn't surprise me if some mechanics/dealers are just measuring the links they remove, setting the new ones to the same length, and not actually doing the alignment. More money in their pocket that way, plus they turn the vehicle quicker.

Yeah I wouldn't be surprised by my dealer if they pulled that stunt. Is there a way to verify they did at least the rear 2 wheel alignment? I know when you pay for a full alignment you get a printout. Is it reasonable to expect such a thing here or is this different?

My Service Advisor showed me the alignment printout, full page printout with green colors. He said that he had to submit it with the paperwork to Ford in order to get reimbursed for it. I suppose I could have asked for a copy or taken a picture of it with my phone but didn't bother. Car seems to be aligned fine, its not pulling or drifting on straight flat roads.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I had my toe links recall done yesterday. I dropped it off at All American Ford of Old Bridge NJ around 3 pm yesterday because I am working nights. My appointment was for 7am this morning. They texted me it was done about 6pm yesterday. I was surprised it was done a day early. I live very close to them and told the service advisor Brooke that I was in work and she dropped it in my driveway for me. I must say that great service and I thank her for doing that. Paper work says "performed alignment". Readout shows all four wheels in spec. Im happy.

Back