rear wiper motor mountaineer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

rear wiper motor mountaineer

smarcotte

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 mercury mountaineer
hi, just bought a 2007 mountaineer premier and found the rear wiper motor not working. fuse is good ( the one labeled for that). Any thoughts before I go and buy a new motor?
Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You can fix this problem for a little while or for good. Ford sourced a crappy motor for the rear window wiper on these vehicles. Chances are your actual motor is still fine, but the bore is frozen with corrosion. If you want to take it out, disassemble the sleeve that the shaft turns in and sand it then grease the daylights out of it - you can probably get it working again and for good. If you don't want to do that you can buy a new motor and know that it will work for a while.

I don't know why Ford couldn't just get a decent motor for these things. After having had a couple of other Ford products with rear window wipers, this is the first to have this issue. It is BS really.

hi, just bought a 2007 mountaineer premier and found the rear wiper motor not working. fuse is good ( the one labeled for that). Any thoughts before I go and buy a new motor?
Thanks

I had a Jeep Cherokee that had the same kind of rear wiper motor issues. Like tour guide said you can tear it apart and fix it for cheap or pony up some dough and buy a replacement. Its a easy tear down and most folks can probably do it. Good luck.

I had a Jeep Cherokee that had the same kind of rear wiper motor issues. Like tour guide said you can tear it apart and fix it for cheap or pony up some dough and buy a replacement. Its a easy tear down and most folks can probably do it. Good luck.

I do not have a problem with my rear wiper but this post brings up the question as to whether a preventative maintenance tear down and lube would be prudent or worthwhile. This is for a west coast vehicle that sees lots of rain and a small amount of snow. No salt is used here.

Hi,
you might want to try soaking it in WD40 o.a. before taking it all apart. I had this problem twice in six years. Wipes slower and slower and finally quits working.
Stuffing an old rag between the plastic window handle and wiper socket, and letting it soak over night, took care of it.
Now I give it another shot every spring, when cleaning off the winters salt and use WD40 on the doorlocks etc. anyway. Works perfect for me.
cheers,
Andre

Same here, motor is good most likely. I took mine apart and cleaned and greased it. Works beautifully now.

My rear wiper was frozen too.

My 06 EB had the same problem. The shaft was severely corroded and I was sure I was going to destroy it trying to fix it. A bit of carefully applied heat, lots of penetrating oil and scary amounts of hammering finally got it apart. I sanded the shaft clean, Cleaned out the bore really well with a rifle bore cleaning brush mounted in a drill and greased it up. It has been working fine for a year now.

My 06 EB had the same problem. The shaft was severely corroded and I was sure I was going to destroy it trying to fix it. A bit of carefully applied heat, lots of penetrating oil and scary amounts of hammering finally got it apart. I sanded the shaft clean, Cleaned out the bore really well with a rifle bore cleaning brush mounted in a drill and greased it up. It has been working fine for a year now.

Without having taken mine apart (it works well) but after reading this post, I examined the setup. I opened the tailgate and squirted some Tri-Flow down around the rotating shaft as I had the wiper rotating.

I am sure this will penetrate through the glass and into the rear motor bearing. Good preventative maintenance I think. It has to be the rear most motor bearing/bushing that takes the most abuse.

I've rebuilt mine a couple of times. It's not the motor that's the problem, actually it's a darn good motor to be taking the abuse of trying to turn a frozen shaft. The problem IMHO is that water leaks into the shaft sleeve, from the outside, and it corrodes. The last time I rebuilt mine I packed grease in around where the shaft goes through the sleeve. That reminds me, I have to check and make sure there's grease still there.

Back