Reasons to keep/fix | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Reasons to keep/fix

Status
Not open for further replies.
I still dont know what to do... thinking about possibly doing it myself... waht parts should i replace when engine is out and b4 i put the rebuilt engine in?
Btw thanks for all the help guys... and for helping me better understand the engine and risks :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I did the following while my engine was out:

Motor mounts
Exhaust manifold gaskets
Intake manifold gaskets
EGR gaskets
Water pump and hoses
Thermostat housing gasket
Plugs and wires
Dipstick tube o-ring
Oil pan gaskets

I basically looked at the new engine and asked myself ‘what would really suck to do once I bolt this thing in’ and I did it with the engine hanging from the hoist. So so so easy.

If your front brake lines are going, that’s a great time to replace them with Motorcraft pre-bent ones. They can be done with the engine in, but it’s more of a pain.

It isn’t a difficult job, it’s just tedious. Lots of steps. You’re going to need a good set of hand tools. An engine hoist, obviously. Air tools help a lot, but aren’t absolutely necessary. Come on here and ask questions if you aren’t sure or get stuck.

thanks!! Ill have to see how much it costs, but im probably gonna do it over break

@ExplorerGuy2007 - Maybe some tough love is in order...

I find you rationalization process and procrastinating fascinating. An engine (any engine) with 340,000 miles on it is not a good candidate for rebuilding. Engines just eventually wear out. If you want to keep your 22+ year old Explorer on the road your best bet, from a monetary prospective, would be to find a running, relatively low mileage used engine and swap yours out. I don't think this would be a good way to go with the Ford 4.0L SOHC V6, as a used engine (even one that does not currently have timing chain issues) is a crap shoot, but maybe you'll get lucky. You may end up spending $800-$1400 on a "low mileage" used engine, doing a ton of work to swap it in and still end up with timing chain problems immediately, or w/in a short period of time. There's no way to know and unless you can verify the engine's actual mileage, listen to the engine cold start and run, don't believe anything the salvage yard tells you.

A reman engine will cost you $2000, or more, to purchase and you'll have to do the labor, buy new replacement parts to meet the conditions of your warranty and returning your core, which they may disallow, or discount based on your core's condition.

Things you mentioned (like having the engine pulled and only having one cassette replaced makes no sense, as puling & reinstalling the engine is the bulk on the labor cost. Replacing your transmission, which you say still works fine, with a another used transmission "just because" makes no sense at all.

You have received a lot of good advice/suggestions from various forum members, but you still say, "I don't know what to do". Personally I wouldn't waste 10 mins on a 22+ year old SOHC Explorer with 340,000 miles on it that has major engine problems (no matter how "pristine" it is) but that's up to you.

Please make a decision and stop asking for more advice as to what you should do. As said, you just keep asking the same questions over and over. Swap the engine, fix it, part it out, or scrap it.

@ExplorerGuy2007

Yep. It is your choice. You have been provided with a LOT of information. Now you just have to decide and make a decision.

Good luck.

@koda2000
Yea I see what your saying... I’ve been under a lot of stress lately with exams and figuring out to do with the explorer and it’s been taking a toll... I apologize and while that’s no excuse, I ask for your forgiveness... thanks for everything guys! Probably gonna sell it as is but I’m not quite sure yet or maybe I’ll just keep driving it... who knows... thanks for everything!

Btw this is probably the end of this thread bc I have the info I need and again, thanks!

also... quick question, is the guides for the front an engine out? im going to check everything else but if it is the guides, is it engine out, how long should it take, and how expensive are the parts?

No, can be done with engine in...but are you sure it’s only your front set that’s shot? You can fix the front all you want, but if the rear is shot and that jumps teeth, the motor is toast anyway.

I beg to differ with some of you here. Except for the timing chain issues, the 4.0L SOHC is a strong and reliable engine if you take care of it. 687,000 miles on my Explorer and it's quiet as a mouse.

Is that an original 98-02 engine? No timing set replacement?

If so, you have a 1/1000000 engine. I babied mine it’s entire life. Ran synthetic, changed it every 3-4000mi, didn’t beat on it. Death rattle started around 125k, which tends to be the norm rather than the exception to the rule.

SOHC is a great engine, but those early models had problems regardless of how well you maintained them. I’m confident my ‘11 engine will last a very long time with the updated timing components, but my original engine ate itself in short order.

It’s original... nothing ever replaced on internal... so both the guide and tensioner can be done with engine in? How much work is it? Is there a good thread on replacing them with some pics? Thanks so much!

You keep asking the same questions over and over. Read this thread, and use the Search bar.

Yeah, I’m going to bow out of this gracefully. This thread has gone full retard.

sry... i realize that i am asking the saem thing repeatedly... im sry for this... thanks for all the help tho... i think that i have the info i need to do the job, and once again, sry and thanks for everything

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back