Rebuilding 5r55e, Ineternal Speed Sensor wire cover brittle,cracked. Replace? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rebuilding 5r55e, Ineternal Speed Sensor wire cover brittle,cracked. Replace?

AKTEPS

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Explorer
Hello All,

Thanks for this forum! I read up on my issues and attempting the repair myself thanks to the info here. Attempting to overhaul my 5r55e that has a broken reverse band. While taking it apart last night, when I got to the internal speed sensor, noticed the black wire cover is brittle and cracking. Now the 2 wires under the cover are showing. Should I replace it? Or is it that critical to have that protective cover? It looks to be about $45 plus shipping online, but then I have to wait for it to ship. Was hoping to finish up this weekend.

Thanks in advance!
Steve

Obviously you would want to replace it just because it is showing damage and its hard to get to, but I have seen many crack enough to expose wire and not have any issues. I cant remember a time where we removed a transmission because of that sensor.

Maybe put a drop of silicone on the exposed area and let dry, then go ahead and finish it up. It will probably be fine.

Obviously you would want to replace it just because it is showing damage and its hard to get to, but I have seen many crack enough to expose wire and not have any issues. I cant remember a time where we removed a transmission because of that sensor.

Maybe put a drop of silicone on the exposed area and let dry, then go ahead and finish it up. It will probably be fine.

Thanks! Good points. I called the dealership and they can get in a couple hours for $95, or Amazon 2-day shipping for around $45.

Maybe I will just inspect it further once I have it completely out. So for silicone, that black high heat silicone for gaskets?

Back