ExplorerDMB

Moderator/Technician
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Mechanicsville, Virginia
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Acura TL
With being around in the "lifted-truck world" for many years, I was wondering who actually buys those $200 buck recalibrators that splice inline with the ABS module/computer to correct their speedometer and transmission shift points. Is it really worth the $200? I had a JET recalibrator for my Explorer, but didn't feel like installing it - so I sold it. Now, I'm rethinking the whole idea of having the odometer and speedometer being + or - 1% instead of "guessing" where I am. Has anyone done this on their truck and noticed a difference besides speedometer correction (i.e. - transmission shifts). Please let me know. I know of the JET recalibrator and the Superlift TruSpeed -- any others out there?

-Drew

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I had a Diablo chip custom programmed back when I had 33's and upped to 4.10's (from 3.73) and I didn't notice any difference from stock in the speedo calibration and only minimal difference in transmission shifting.

When I went to 4.88's I had assumed it would bring my speedo back into line (it was almost 20% off after going to 35's) but it didn't. I did notice a significant negative difference in transmission shifting though. Thats when we found out that the 98+ explorers use the rear ABS sensor for the speedo, and therefore is not dependant on the diff gears. Once I put in a Superlift TruSpeed in the shifting was much better, and it was very easy to calibrate it using a GPS. I had tried to get ford to recalibrate the speedo, but they could only do +-15%.

If you get a SCT based X-calibrator tuner we can adjust for your new tire and/or gear size swap in the PCM and offer you more performance to boot. My tuners are only $325 so you would be getting this done for all of your programs, except stock, for only $125 more then a recalibrated speedo tool.

Just a suggestion.

Thanks, Doug.

I will look into it Doug. Thank you!

-Drew

Jefe said:
I had tried to get ford to recalibrate the speedo, but they could only do +-15%.

Jefe - how would they recalibrate the speedo and would it work for mine? 33.4" tires -- cause it'd be great to see the mileage stuff all right again (or closer atleast). I don't know what % wise I'm off....is there a certain way to figuring it out with a formula. I have done the GPS test and it said I was 3mph off from 0-40mph then like 6mph off from 40-60mph -- but I don't trust that GPS stuff that much, but it supposidly is the closest thing to radar.

-Drew

EDIT: when I put the 4.56s it didn't fix my speedo either!

If you're going to stay with 33's, then I think Ford could probably fix it. sounds like you're about 10% off. All they're going to do is the same thing Doug is suggesting, reprogram the PCM. I think Ford qouted me 'up to 2 hours labor' ($150 here) to reprogram it, as they have to guestimate, program, go check it, and reprogram if necesary. Doug on the other hand should be able to get it right the first time.

I'll wait til my warranty is up before I go showing the dealer what I did to it when I'm using the warranty still at my shop. Thanks for the information Jefe.

-Drew

i think the truspeed can be pluged into fuse #14. when iunplug it for the ABS, the speedo stop working. that gave me the idea to try to hook mine up thru there. will let u know how it work out. i got the 35s on with 4.10 and the speedo is way way way off. i have to keep a piece of paper to let me know actual speed vs speedo speed.

35's with a 4.10 ratio - ouch. Well, yeah let me know how it all works out. Thanks

-Drew

anyone knows where is the ABS module? i cannot find it. is it where the ABS lines comes out off?? i am acutally looking for the green wire on #19..whatever that is... that is what it says on the instruction.

Yes, the ABS module is the 'brick' that has all the brake lines plummed in/out of it.

wow...there are a bunch of wires there... hhmm... shucks... guess back to the manual to figure out which wire. 1 wrire out off the bunch.

UPDATE:

I was talking with our tech guy at work and he says that we have the programs to flash my computer. We are actually getting indepth with the stuff, we just have to buy the stuff for GM and Chrysler. Fords, we can do now - which includes my truck. I will be flashing my computer and recalibrating my speedometer. The things you'll need is the NGS (Ford scan/system tool) and the green card that comes with the program. You will then need to figure out the Rev/Mile of the tires. There is a formula and I hope to get it tomorrow (I will post if I do find it). When I input my Rev/Mile I should be close to where I need to be (speedo wise). I will then take my truck out and hook up to a GPS unit and trace my speed. If it isn't close enough, I will go back in and recalibrate. Best thing about this - it's FREE! I will keep this updated so others can do it (if they have the tools). Oh, and it runs through the GEM module (Generic Electronic Module).

-Drew

ExplorerDMB said:
UPDATE:

I was talking with our tech guy at work and he says that we have the programs to flash my computer. We are actually getting indepth with the stuff, we just have to buy the stuff for GM and Chrysler. Fords, we can do now - which includes my truck. I will be flashing my computer and recalibrating my speedometer. The things you'll need is the NGS (Ford scan/system tool) and the green card that comes with the program. You will then need to figure out the Rev/Mile of the tires. There is a formula and I hope to get it tomorrow (I will post if I do find it). When I input my Rev/Mile I should be close to where I need to be (speedo wise). I will then take my truck out and hook up to a GPS unit and trace my speed. If it isn't close enough, I will go back in and recalibrate. Best thing about this - it's FREE! I will keep this updated so others can do it (if they have the tools). Oh, and it runs through the GEM module (Generic Electronic Module).

-Drew

Yup, that's the factory way to do it but most dealers cant figure this out so they make up excuses as to why they can't do it. I've heard everything from it's not possible to it's illegal. What a load of crap.

It's been a while since I've done it but I think you may have to enter the security access as well. Not many people short of a dealer have an NGS, $2000+ scan tool, but if you have acess it's a great tool

later Doug.

Well, we went as far into the program as getting to where you put in the number for Rev/Mile! The CD-Rom gave a chart for certain tire sizes, but of coarse 33"s aren't on there. Basically they chart said like P235/75/R15 = 700 Rev/Mile! Something like that. Anyway, just going to take some time, math, and patience. Thanks for your help, Doug; without you I wouldn't of even thought of flashing my computer. Sorry, though, that I couldn't go with your program. If you know what the Rev/Mile is for 33.4" tall tire, please tell me! ha - Thanks!

-Drew

Ford: 1998-2000 Explorer, Mountaineer, Ranger

Action:

Reprogram the GEM, CTM, or 4WABS Module to match the vehicle attributes. Refer to the following Service Prodecure for details.

Service Procedure:

In the event a 1998-2000 Ranger GEM/CTM/4WABS or a 1998-2000 Explorer/Mountaineer 4WABS/CTM component requires service or replacement, the module(s) must be configured for proper operation using a New Generation Star (NGS) Tester and verision 6.0 Service Function Card. If you do not have verision 6.0 loaded, use the latest version Service Bay Technical System (SBTS) CD to download NGS Service Function Card Version 6.0 software to the green NGS service card for configuring modules. To configure modules, follow these instructions:

1. SELECT: SERVICE BAY FUNCTIONS
2. SELECT: GEM, CTM or ABS
3. For ABS, proceed to Step 4. For GEM or CTM, SELECT: CUSTOMER PREFERENCES
4. SELECT: TIRE SIZE/AXLE RATIO CONFIGURE
a. The NGS Tester will display "DETERMINING MODULE PROTOCOL, PLEASE WAIT"
b. When NGS Tester is ready, press {TRIGGER} to continue.
5. ENTER TIRE SIZE/REVOLUTIONS PER MILE (REV/MILE)

NOTE: THE TIRE SIZE MUST BE ENTERED AS A REV/MILE CALCULATION. REFER TO THE REV/MILE CHART FOR THE CORRECT CALCULATION.

6. ENTER AXLE/TONE RING SIZE

NOTE: 4X2 RANGERS EQUIPPED WITH A 2.5L OR A 3.0L ENGINE HAVE A 7.5" AXLE. 4X4 AND 4.0L RANGERS HAVE AN 8.8" AXLE. ALL EXPLORERS/MOUNTAINEERS HAVE AN 8.8" AXLE. IF THE SPECIFIC AXLE CANNOT BE SELECTED, ENTER THE AXLE TONE RING TOOTH SIZE USING (00102) FOR 7.5" AXLES AND (00108) FOR 8.8" AXLES.

7. ENTER OPTIONS
8. ENTER VEHICLE
9. SELECT: DONE - The NGS Tester will display "MODULE CONFIGURATION COMPLETE."
The module is now properly configured. Press {TRIGGER} to exit
10. Verify with road test

Time: 0.7 HR.
Operation: 992604A

REV/MILE CHART

Tire Size = REV/Mile

P205/75/R14 = 00800
P225/70/R14 = 00794
P235/60/R14 = 00797
P215/75/R15 = 00750
P225/70/R15 = 00761
P235/75/R15 = 00721
P265/75/R15 = 00679
P245/75/R16 = 00681
P255/70/R16 = 00690

You can get this done at your local Ford Dealer, it's just that you'll have to pay for the .7 Hr (like 50 bucks) and then probably for the scan (about $75). Now if your vehicle isn't equipped with larger tires, and run the stock tires and have a problem with your speedometer - then this is covered under warranty. I am just showing this so people have an idea of what is going on and to help someone else out.

-Drew

ExplorerDMB said:
Well, we went as far into the program as getting to where you put in the number for Rev/Mile! The CD-Rom gave a chart for certain tire sizes, but of coarse 33"s aren't on there. Basically they chart said like P235/75/R15 = 700 Rev/Mile! Something like that. Anyway, just going to take some time, math, and patience. Thanks for your help, Doug; without you I wouldn't of even thought of flashing my computer. Sorry, though, that I couldn't go with your program. If you know what the Rev/Mile is for 33.4" tall tire, please tell me! ha - Thanks!

-Drew

Hey Drew,

I'm happy I could help. There's a website I use for all of my tire size calculations... www.1010tires.com as they have a tire size calculator with choices in Standard along with metric, look at the selection for " Additional Choices".

For a 33x10.5R15 628 rpm's

For a 33x12.5R15 639 rpm's

Give that a try and it'll give you what your needing.

I have talked to a few people and will now go under the Hybrid Module section and will try to enter in the information under that. Hopefully I will be able to get into there.

-Drew

I am going to start a new thread on this process to hopefully help others out. We just recently upgraded our NGS, and we are 3 versions behind, so I will try with the NGS to do some things -- if not, I have access to a WDS tool, so I will try and do it with that also.

-Drew

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back